Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
sweet! picked up a free hardtail steel gt that's too big for me or anyone i know, has all LX parts.. i bought one of these and when it gets here i'm transferring all the parts over for my girlfriend's new mountain bike!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good deal

I've had this frame for about 6 months now. I bought it at $70 so this is a good deal at $45.

I just slapped a bunch of old parts on it and it has worked great.

Cons: It's heavy, the rear disc mount seems to be bent slightly as in not welded perfectly straight (well, within tolerances anyway), and the top tube is kinda long.

Pros: It's cheap, it's cheap, it;s cheap.

·
SpitFire Pilot
172 Posts
gringopapo said:
the top tube is kinda long.
Wouldn't a shorter stem fix that?

I'll admit I'm tempted to get this. Do they ship to Canada and for how much?

-PB

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
yes nashbar ships to canada, the prices are on THEIR website. Go look yourself.

·
SpitFire Pilot
172 Posts
DeeEight said:
yes nashbar ships to canada, the prices are on THEIR website. Go look yourself.
I posted cause I saw this:

(Frames and some larger items can not be shipped outside of the continental US)
plus I can never trust what they say about shipping & handling...

-PB

·
Registered
78 Posts
PetroBoy said:
Wouldn't a shorter stem fix that?

I'll admit I'm tempted to get this. Do they ship to Canada and for how much?

-PB
Yeah, shorter stem would fix it. Besides bike fit is pretty subjective. I should say, too, that I was easily able to modify the disc brake dropouts so that they work great. In fact, I was able to install a rack system on this frame despite Nashbar assuring me that it couldn't be done. just took some spacers and ingenuity. In short, this frame makes a good jumping off point with only minor problems that can be addressed easily.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have one of these frames in size 21.

Pros - Weld quality pretty good. Alignment and geometry look good. Paint job better than expected for the price. Overall workmanship is very good. Packed like a $1000 frame. Suntour seatpost included is very nice - two bolt design.

Cons - Weighs between 7.0 and 7.5 pounds. I have weighed all 7 frames I have, they all weigh in between 3.3 lbs and 5.2 lbs. So this frame is simply off-the-scale heavy. I believe it is constructed from some low cost non-standard tubing, probably straight gauge despite nashbar's claims. The 2" downtube is overkill and the chainstays are actually made of a tubing diameter thats close to seatstay (in fact the same tubing is used for both). The headtube is longer than most and thus builds into a tall upright bike.

Its such a heavy POS I couldn't find any spare parts in my bin that were crappy enough to build it up with.

Then again, it costs a mere fifty bucks shipped - and chains go for nearly that much now.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Looks like it's back up to $74.95.... (that's ok, I like my Soma that I got for around $75 for the frame)

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
micky said:
Where did you find that deal.

From the previous owner.... I bought the whole bike as a package deal, but that is about what the frame worked out to be.... used of course but new to me! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
How long to get the frame?

Hey I ordered this frame from nashbar on July 11. I just choose standard shipping to keep the price down, and I figured Ohio wasn't too far away so it should only take a couple of days to get it. I also ordered a headset and couple of other items to go with the frame.

Well the Nashbar website finally indicated they were shipped on July 13 (two days to ship!) in two seperate packages. I figured two-three days shipping via USPS from OH to VA. The first package came on Tuesday July 18, but no frame. It's now two days later and the mail has already ran and still no frame. So I called Nashbar and they said they shipped on the 13th. They said it sometimes takes 12 business days for shipping. WTF 12 days to ship from OH to VA, yeah right!

After I got off the phone with them, I started looking at the first package. I noticed it had a delivery confirmation number on it. I entered that number on the USPS site, and it indicated the package was shipped on July 15th. Not July 13th as Nashbar told me. July 15th-July 18th was two USPS delivery days which seems about right.

I just sent Nashbar an e-mail asking for the Delivery Confirmation Number of the second package. Hopefully they will give it to me. Really why don't they put these numbers on the online order status?

I'm not ordering from Nashbar anymore unless I get a really really good price like this one. I had a 20% off coupon code. So I'll be getting the frame for like $35.

Now my original question, how long on did it take some of you to get your frame using the standard shipping option?

·
Registered
78 Posts
About two weeks

Yep, took nashbar about two weeks to deliver the frame to me and I live in Utah. Keep in mind that extra long shipping times is a quirk of Nashbar.com. Just like each one of the other internet bike retailers has their quirk. Pricepoint.com refuses to give you (or at least me) any detailed product info and their pricematching is lacking BUT they ship very quickly. Performance bike also has extra long shipping times.

Just my experience...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
gringopapo said:
Yep, took nashbar about two weeks to deliver the frame to me and I live in Utah. Keep in mind that extra long shipping times is a quirk of Nashbar.com. Just like each one of the other internet bike retailers has their quirk. Pricepoint.com refuses to give you (or at least me) any detailed product info and their pricematching is lacking BUT they ship very quickly. Performance bike also has extra long shipping times.

Just my experience...
Thanks,

Ok at least now I know to expect two weeks. Most likely Nashbar is lying about the ship date. And for sure I won't order from nashbar unless I'm getting a super great price. I usually order from Jenson and Pricepoint and always get my items fast.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Another thing to remember is that USPS "tracking" is really only a "delivery confirmation". It was designed this way with the shipper in mind. From prior experience, the date listed on the USPS tracking page is accurate, but the location may not always be. For instance, if the tracked package was shipped from NOWHERESVILLE, it won't be scanned into the system until it reaches a post office with the proper scanning tools.

Just food for thought.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts