Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the economy I am going to have just one bike. I was going to run a 36/22 (2x9) on my Niner, but now that I'm going to be using it on the road/commuting I want a third ring (higher gear) for that.
With an 8 tooth jump (outer to middle) then a 14 tooth jump (middle to granny) am I asking for trouble? Is that even possible? To those who have similar set ups, what should I be looking for?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The big issue will be having enough clearance between the bottom of the FD inner cage and middle ring when you're shifting to the 44T, that will be product specific to the FD. You'll likely end up with the derailleur about 6mm above the 44T ring to have enough clearance to the middle ring, and that may mean some chain rub on the back of the derailleur cage when you're in the granny.

·
'All over it!'
1,106 Posts
I used to run a 36 - 22 on my bike and to be honest, it didn't work. I constantly found that I was up and down due to missed ratios and under load, the shifting was terrible between 22 - 36.
I have subsequently found that many advise not to exceed a 12 tooth difference between rings. Hope this helps.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rockyuphill said:
The big issue will be having enough clearance between the bottom of the FD inner cage and middle ring when you're shifting to the 44T, that will be product specific to the FD. You'll likely end up with the derailleur about 6mm above the 44T ring to have enough clearance to the middle ring, and that may mean some chain rub on the back of the derailleur cage when you're in the granny.
Exactly what I was thinking... hmmm maybe a 32t then...

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lornibear said:
I used to run a 36 - 22 on my bike and to be honest, it didn't work. I constantly found that I was up and down due to missed ratios and under load, the shifting was terrible between 22 - 36.
I have subsequently found that many advise not to exceed a 12 tooth difference between rings. Hope this helps.
Indeed, thanks man!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
lornibear said:
I ran a 44/28 off road for years. No ramps, no pins. Shifting was like throwing a light switch. But you have to ease off while shifting. Nothing shifts efficiently under load.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
WEBERTIME said:
In light of the economy I am going to have just one bike. I was going to run a 36/22 (2x9) on my Niner, but now that I'm going to be using it on the road/commuting I want a third ring (higher gear) for that.
With an 8 tooth jump (outer to middle) then a 14 tooth jump (middle to granny) am I asking for trouble? Is that even possible? To those who have similar set ups, what should I be looking for?
Not sure what kind of terrain you are riding, but around here a 36t middle ring would be on the large side.

I'd go with the old-school XTR gearing - 24/34/46

That'll give you a more usable range on the middle ring, and you'll be able to wail a little harder when road commuting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.