Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
gray hair in my shammy
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Vicious Cycles rigid fork at a swap meet really cheap, but it has the shorter 438mm crown to axle with an 8 inch steerer. I know the Niner users a 490, and I think that's what my Reba is. My question is, is it worth mounting or will the HT angle be too steep? I got it really cheap, so if I have to throw it on Ebay, I'm pretty sure I'll get my $$ back.
Thanks in advance

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
My opinion is that you should just try it for kicks, at least, and report back here with your impressions. ;)

It certainly will steepen the head angle, seat tube angle, and lower the bottom bracket height a tad. It might be ultra quick and twitchy, at least that's my guess, but I have no idea what the fork off set is.

I believe there was a Matt Chester owner that did something similar and ended up liking it. Anybody remember that?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Tell us how a 74.5º head tube angle bike rides like :)
Keep in mind your seat to bar reach, once you've corrected the seat over BB placement, will increase at least 2 mtb frame sizes' worth.

Don't kill yourself out there...

J

·
gray hair in my shammy
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockhound said:
You are going to be falling over the bars...

I've got a 457mm fork I'll trade you...
Yea...... I'm thinking I've grown accustomed to my face...............not being smash in.:eekster: I guess it was an impulse buy. It looked soo sweet sitting on that table surrounded by all those clapped out derailiurs and rounded out square tapered cranks, I just couldn't resist.

Rockhound
What do you have?

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
My opinion is that you should just try it for kicks, at least, and report back here with your impressions. ;)

It certainly will steepen the head angle, seat tube angle, and lower the bottom bracket height a tad. It might be ultra quick and twitchy, at least that's my guess, but I have no idea what the fork off set is.

I believe there was a Matt Chester owner that did something similar and ended up liking it. Anybody remember that?
Maybe me? I own like a Chester and stuff. I ran my Chester-geo Waltworks fork on my 29er Inbred, and I really, really liked the ride, 'xceptin' the low BB height.

Didn't see you at the Swap today Bashturd, but I did see that fork. I did end up with what I was looking for a couple of days ago. Got home, promptly installed that sucka, and went out for a quicky:

:thumbsup:

·
gray hair in my shammy
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Drevil said:
Didn't see you at the Swap today Bashturd, but I did see that fork. I did end up with what I was looking for a couple of days ago. Got home, promptly installed that sucka, and went out for a quicky:
I walked by that fork 6 times before I made an offer, and was surprised when He took it. The was a Salsa there too, but the steerer was too short. I didn't see the On-One, you must have beat me to it ;)

Oh well, Ebay it is................

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Drevil said:
Maybe me? I own like a Chester and stuff. I ran my Chester-geo Waltworks fork on my 29er Inbred, and I really, really liked the ride, 'xceptin' the low BB height.
Yep! You're the guy I had in mind. I figured that the way this board works, it was a matter of time before you showed up.

Nice Inbred, by the way. The Carbon Super Light is even nicer on that frame! ;)

:thumbsup:

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
Mine's a 457mm Zion, which is probably too short for your Niner anyhow.

I'd get a 490mm fork, or if you want to steepen it a bit, wait for the 29er Zion forks to come back in stock (they are 475mm). I think Kona's is 465mm and Salsa might be 470mm (but don't quote me on that).

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
I MUCH prefer a shorter fork on a SIR/One 9......I LOVED the KM fork and LOVED the Pace....both under 470mm....but yeah, yours is even shorter but for a single speed where its all about the climb, go for it

·
Registered
492 Posts
That'd drop your front end almost 2 inches and steepen the HTA & STA a couple of degrees. Unless the fork's got very little rake it'll end up very twitchy steering, plus the overall fit and geometry issues. On the whole I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent change, but it could be fun to fit it just for laughs.

Sam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.