Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys are a bad influence. Getting us to do things that perhaps we should no longer do.

I took my 12 year old over to St. Mary's lake for a ride. He's been digging it and it's been a ball teaching him about balance, momentum etc. Plus I've been rekindling some long atrophied skills over the last few months.

Maybe.

The lake has a really nice 7.5 mile singletrack trail around the perimeter. Some smooth sections, some mud sections, some technical and some moderate climbs. Really a hidden jewel in southern Maryland that gets very little use.

There's an 8 inch wide plank across the St. Mary's river that you have to carry your bike across. Look at this kid - he's a horse. He gives me a run for my money, no doubt.

Anyway - I was showing him how to cross some terrain and I got the bright idea to set him up with the camera while I jumped this creek. Piece of cake right? I've done stuff like this a hundred times....well yeah, it's been a while, but no problem.

Yes - That's a face plant. Of course I heard a crack when it happened.

The boy came over laughing his butt off until he realized I still hadn't moved.

And strangely, my neck felt better than it had in years. No pain at all. In fact I couldn't feel it. Oh crap.

But I rolled over. I could move my head. I sat up and picked the bank gravel out of my neck.

I unpretzled the handlebars, had a gritty sip of water from the mud-encrusted water bottle and we finished our ride.

2 Aleves and a couple of IPAs and everything seems alright. I guess I'll know in the morning.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Way cool, dad.

He'll talk about that day forever...or 'till you can top that stunt.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I love a story with a happy ending. It's amazing your glasses didn't break, I was never that lucky(laserized my eyes) when I wore 'em. I crashed during an endurance race and heard the dreaded CRACK! I was worried I broke something but for some reason everything was OK.

·
2,856 Posts
paxfish said:
Yes - That's a face plant. Of course I heard a crack when it happened.

The boy came over laughing his butt off until he realized I still hadn't moved.

And strangely, my neck felt better than it had in years. No pain at all. In fact I couldn't feel it. Oh crap.

But I rolled over. I could move my head. I sat up and picked the bank gravel out of my neck.
The crack heard round the creek cured a crik. :thumbsup:

Great story and I hope your neck really is fixed.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.