Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a take on which setup is the better version of 429T?

I just demo'd the bike as 27.5+, loved it, and am considering pulling the trigger on a purchase.

Won't be able to demo one w 29 wheels. Only thing I missed in the 27.5+ compared to other 29ers I've demo'd (Camber alloy & Ripley with waaay too long of a stem) I've demo'd is that feeling of maintaining speed speed so well - the bike carrying it's speed through smaller hills, roots, and rocks. But what I liked was how maneuverable and balanced the 27.5+ was, and how good it felt when airborne.

Also, how does the Trail feel as a 29er compared to a Ripley or even Tallboy?

Any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Recently I demoed these three and a few other bikes basically back to back, riding each for 30-60 minutes on the same loop of the more technical parts of my local trail system. And the 429t handily won me over. The DW rear suspension is far superior IMO in its small bump compliance and handled rocky rooty climbs much better for me than the other two.

The Ripley was sporting some 2.6 Rons I believe, which took some getting used to, and the overall feeling was like riding a fairly nimble beach bike, albeit a very nice one. The TB CC felt racier than the other two, more like the 429sl but without the supple rear end and not as fun feeling. I don’t get too hung up on geo, just seat of the pants feel. I would have liked to demo an Intense Sniper trail, but that wasn’t possible.

I should be hitting the trail with my new 429 trail build within the week

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply Noclutch! Your review sounds right in line with the what I've read of the 29 wheeled version of the 429T being a "right in the middle" feeling trail bike. I guess that's some of what I got from the plus version I demo'd too - very balanced. The Ibis I tried didn't have the bigger 2.6's on it, but the bike was set up so poorly that I've sorta disregarded a lot of that ride (other than how well the shock worked).

Congrats on your new build, too!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm also likely to pull the trigger on a 429T soon. I'm trying to wait for an upcoming demo day to try the SJ ST just so I can at least have trail time on it, it will be the same trails I demoed the 429T on and a couple of other bikes as well. The 429T was fun and fast on trails that I am currently riding my HT on and seems to be the perfect fit for my local trails.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would like to hear your thoughts comparing Stumpy to 429T. Lots of good reviews on the Stumpjumper.

I'm still hoping to try out the 429T in it's 29 wheel iteration. Just demo'd a Ripley (with proper setup) on 2.6" wheels - that bike is damn impressive, and very fast. The 2.6" 29ers didn't make it feel heavy, but helped in climbs. Got airborne easily (though not as easily as the 429 in plus setup, and the Pivot climbed a little better for me, too). My times varied between trails as to which bike I was faster on between the Pivot and the Ibis.

I'm leaning towards the 429 plus, but if I opened a box that contained either that or the Ripley, I'd be a happy rider. Both are soooo nice that it's almost splitting hairs.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I compared the SJ ST to the 429t on the ST thread-----basically I was under whelmed by the SJ----especially as I own the Pivot---SJ felt very sluggish but more planted

·
Registered
858 Posts
My wife and I have both......we each have 429s and we have 4 sets of wheels.....

They are both good, but for different things........

·
Registered
81 Posts
I demoed the new Stumpjumper ST and the 429T at Sea Otter this year. The SJ ST felt like a bike you would want to take up on a ski lift and point downhill and have a blast. It felt slack and sluggish while climbing. The 429T felt like a bike you could ride up and down all day and it would be awesome in every situation. I'm buying the 429T this week. The SJST is a beautiful bike but it has a very specific purpose and riding it up and down mountains all day long is not that purpose. If you were just going to use it for lift access riding I would think you would just go with the regular SJ.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had a 429T for about a yr and a half and have both wheel sets. I honestly am just as happy on ea wheel set and think it feels comparable. Faster on 29er bc rollover and thinner tire, but plus has more traction, is faster in the loose, and feels like has more travel.

I want to build another bike but am so happy with this one I honestly don’t know what I would build. Maybe a new trail if one launches haha

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had a 429T for about a yr and a half and have both wheel sets. I honestly am just as happy on ea wheel set and think it feels comparable. Faster on 29er bc rollover and thinner tire, but plus has more traction, is faster in the loose, and feels like has more travel.

I want to build another bike but am so happy with this one I honestly don’t know what I would build. Maybe a new trail if one launches haha

It wouldn't surprise me if Pivot intro's a new Trail very shortly, with them updating other bikes recently, and the Trail being on the older side.

Seems like a lot of Trail owners take advantage of the bike's duality and have both size wheel sets. When you switch out, do you need to switch rotors too?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if Pivot intro's a new Trail very shortly, with them updating other bikes recently, and the Trail being on the older side.

Seems like a lot of Trail owners take advantage of the bike's duality and have both size wheel sets. When you switch out, do you need to switch rotors too?
I have carbon Nox hoops on both sets w I9 hubs and even xx1 rear cassettes and matching rotors. Not cheap but it’s now super easy to switch back and forth. This bike has seriously been bomb proof. I have a few thousand miles on it and not even a concern in my mind about it.

Agreed, I will be shocked if they don’t launch a new trail this yr. This model is 3yrs old and they have to launch something new to keep up w modern changes. My guess is front triangle will move to similar of that of new 5.5 and some type of rear triangle change to meet the marketing buzz words of all companies longer slacker etc.. I just hope they find a way to shed some weight.

·
Registered
858 Posts

I do the same as I hate tree gates.....both my wife and I have cassettes and rotors mounted on both wheelsets......rarely do I even need to reset anything on the bike, swap wheels and go.....

We also have the same impression riding the different sizes as IHTG above.......29er, lighter and faster and rolls over everything, we run 2.35 dampfs F/R. Plus......feels more aggressive, we use it for muddy conditions or chunky conditions and bike park stuff......She has the Pivot supplied DT XM551/350 running Rekon Front Nobby Nic rear......I went heavier and did Spank Oozy 345s with Hope/XT combo and Rocket Ron/Nic combo....all in 2.8" when we ride plus..... gobs of traction.....if you can get your leg over the top on anything you will hook up.....

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I didn't like this bike with the plus tires. Was too low (even with the 17mm cup) and front end felt floppy and was prone to over steer. Much happier with the 29's on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do the same as I hate tree gates.....both my wife and I have cassettes and rotors mounted on both wheelsets......rarely do I even need to reset anything on the bike, swap wheels and go.....

Should have asked this before to those of you who have both wheel sets - do you ride both wheel sizes with the 17mm cup in, or out, or do you switch out the cup depending on wheel size?

After trying the new Trail 429, I know the old Mach 429 T is a better fit for me in reach and stack height, as well as feeling lighter. People will probably love the new Trail, but it wasn't for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Should have asked this before to those of you who have both wheel sets - do you ride both wheel sizes with the 17mm cup in, or out, or do you switch out the cup depending on wheel size?

After trying the new Trail 429, I know the old Mach 429 T is a better fit for me in reach and stack height, as well as feeling lighter. People will probably love the new Trail, but it wasn't for me.
I honestly can’t recall cup in or out because I never change it. I keep it on 29er setting whatever that is. I def get way too many pedal strikes when riding plus but I like that it is super low when I run that wheel set. It honestly makes it feel like two different bikes for me that i can play around with for different days/conditions.

Mine is fully matched rear cassettes and rotors so I can literally swap wheel sets within minutes and hit the trail. If I go on trips I often take both sets and will swap trail dependent

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I def get way too many pedal strikes when riding plus but I like that it is super low when I run that wheel set.
Thanks for reply, friend. Sounds like you keep the smaller cup installed full-time. I like the idea of being able to adjust geo with cups, but wouldn't want to get into swapping them out a lot, partly because of the pain of it, and partly for fear of screwing up the headset.

I've read of some of the new Switchblade owners that keep the bigger cup in place on both wheel sets.

I could see doing that with the new Trail429 too, with it being lower and longer in front.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My wife and I each own the 429 Trail set up with 27+ and are into our second season.
I demoed the 29 itiration and much preferred the 27+ set up for our terrain (Northeast US rooty, rocky). I feel the 29er setup places the 429 on the XC side of the trail category, while the 27+ setup pushes the needle towards aggressive trail. With the plus tires, I chuck this bike down things it has no reason being on.

Since the bike climbs and sprints so well (the best tech climbing trail bike I’ve ever ridden), the plus setup does not come with the baggage that may hamper a longer travel plow bike. (i.e. too much of a good thing). The plus tires just expand the capabilities of what is a solid XC trail bike. I’ve cleaned 2 really tech climbs that I’ve never made before.

It took a few rounds of tire tryouts before we settled on the Schwalbe 2.8 Nobby Nic Apex (for me), and Nobby Nic/Rocket Ron for her. They offer the best combination of size, weight, traction and reliability for our trails. But, I’d warn against the Pace Star compound since they’re pourous as h*ll and bleed Stans like a stuck pig. Since I added weight going with reinforced sidewalls, I swapped to carbon wheels which had a net zero effect on weight. I will say the Surly Dirt Wizard is the gnarliest plus tire I’ve tried, but I only mount that for the downhill mank that Jamaica throws at a bike (its heavy and you’ll feel it).

Pedal strikes…they do happen, but after a month (coming off a high BB Mojo HD) I got used to the lower BB height and timing my strokes through the rock gardens. I may get one hit a week now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Guys,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. It just seems like the best place for my questions. I have a 2020 (or 2021?) Trail429 frameset on order. Looks like the frame was slightly changed in 2018 which bumped the BB height (+7.9mm) and slightly steeper ST angle? Could be wrong.

The wheelset I'm building is 27.5+. My big questions are on the front end and specifically the axle to crown / cup / fork travel length. I know some of you are running (perhaps still running? This is an older thread) this bike with both 29er and 27.5+ setups. Are you able to comment on the following?

1) Using lower 17mm headset cup?
2) Fork travel (130mm or 140mm)?
3) crank length (and whether you're striking often or not)
4) ever try 27.5 x 2.6 tires?

I have bought the 17mm cup, the 10mm cup (Wolf Tooth). And contemplating running a 140mm fork (this came to me while trying to fall asleep last night, haha). I was thinking that the 140mm fork might mitigate the need for the lower headset cup? I prefer steeper angles but want to avoid striking often in the technical stuff. Thoughts welcome for those in the trenches with this bike.

Thanks for reading guys. Hope everyone is well and riding. Oh how lucky we are to be bike people :)

-=terry

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I have the old Mach 429 trail (2018).

1) Using lower 17mm headset cup? Yes.
2) Fork travel (130mm or 140mm)? 130mm Fox 34 (29er fork)
3) crank length (and whether you're striking often or not) (175mm. Some strikes, but I've ridden it enough to know when to time pedaling in rock gardens. Not enough strikes to annoy.)
4) ever try 27.5 x 2.6 tires? (No, and I don't think I'd recommend it in either Mach 429 Trail or Trail 429 variations.)

That said, the Mach 429 Trail with 2.8s is one of my favorite bikes to ride ever, and I've been doing this a long time. This bike is staying for the long haul.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts