Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding my 2018 Mach 429 trail for several years without any issues until last week. I was riding and noticed my shifting went from good to terrible within 10 miles. I got off the bike for a quick look and saw the rear axle had started to backout. I screwed in tight and all was good.

Now I am checking the axle every 5 miles which is annoying. Any thoughts on why all of the sudden this is a issue?

Hardmix

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nor experienced it myself. However perhaps a dab of locitite will help?

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,326 Posts
I have been riding my 2018 Mach 429 trail for several years without any issues until last week. I was riding and noticed my shifting went from good to terrible within 10 miles. I got off the bike for a quick look and saw the rear axle had started to backout. I screwed in tight and all was good.

Now I am checking the axle every 5 miles which is annoying. Any thoughts on why all of the sudden this is a issue?

Hardmix
It just happens. It also happens on my Switchblade. I check every 2-4 months riding 4-5 times a week. No biggie. Just don’t over tighten it because getting the wheel off on the trail can be difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
119 Posts

Hardmix
I switched to one of these years ago:

BK.jpg

https://www.backcountry.com/shimano...mnal6djlbcudgNSZilE8Um6R1muk4LBxoCRjcQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The axle continues to come loose. I am going to apply some locktite and see how that works. I find it strange after all this time/miles that this problem just now arises. It makes me think there could be another problem lurking in the shadows.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,016 Posts
Those DTs have to be pretty damn tight IME. Usually tighter than you’d think. Otherwise they loosen on you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The axle continues to come loose. I am going to apply some locktite and see how that works. I find it strange after all this time/miles that this problem just now arises. It makes me think there could be another problem lurking in the shadows.
What problem do you imagine could be "lurking in the shadows?" How tight do you tighten the axle?

·
change is good
3,326 Posts
I wouldn’t locktite it. It’s slightly annoying, but infrequent. I do tighten the 429T more frequently than my Switchblade so I crank it down harder. The loosening of the axle was disconcerting at first, but I got over it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This just speculation on my part. It doesn’t make sense to me that the axle all of the sudden startS giving me problems.

It has not come loose in the past 3 rides..go figure!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed a new rear axle and hanger that I purchased from Pivot. On my first ride the axle started backing out. I guess I will take the bike to a lbs and see if they can figure this out.

·
change is good
3,326 Posts
I installed a new rear axle and hanger that I purchased from Pivot. On my first ride the axle started backing out. I guess I will take the bike to a lbs and see if they can figure this out.
Could put a lock washer on it. Or crank the hell out of it and carry a long handle Allen. Or my favorite, wipe the threads clean, put some sandy dirt on it, wipe it off and tighten. Or like you said, locktite it. Sometimes shite doesn’t want to stay tight. Like RaceFace cranks.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts