Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surprised no one has started this thread...

Hope 40t or 42t conversion...

Pros and cons......

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,424 Posts
It seems like people using a Shimano rear del. a 40T would be easier to set-up than the 42T.
I'm using Sram in the rear and no problem making a 42T work w/o using all of the b adjustment.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im thinking the shifting should be much improved with either Shimano or Sram since going from 36t to 40t with hope....

·
What gear are you running
1,617 Posts
I would think 40 would be the sweet spot, not too big of a jump and better compatibility with the existing 10sp mechs.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
At least for me the 40T would not make as much sense as the 42T.

My 30x42 is equal to a 26x36. Going to a 40 would put me in an even higher gear. I came from a 38/24...which is lower than my 30x42 setup. Lol...I think that came out right.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have not seen any 40 tooth cogs for sale yet.

Actiontech makes a 39 tooth ti cog no ramps and 9 speed spacing, mtbtools on ebay provides a steel 41 or 38 with no ramps and no lateral support.

Until we have some of the new proposed Hope or Absoluteblack 40 tooth shift profiles rings available all the comparisons will be conjecture.

I've tried lots of different 1x10 setups. The best shifting for me has been SRAM 11-36 cassette and rear der with a N/W single chainring. My best wide cassette is Wolf Tooth 42 cog 11-36 SRAM cassette missing the 17 with a SRAM rear der and a single W/N chainring. This combo shifts well enough that I don't worry about it but I might prefer a 40 or 41 tooth from a gearing perspective. From my experience gear ratios are just numbers riding the gears on your preferred terrain is the only true test.

·
beater
5,973 Posts
Where do they actually have them for sale? I see pictures but going to their webpage there is nothing.
They don't yet. But there have been a steady stream of updates on the FB. He posted a half dozen colors yesterday. He's one of those constantly busy craftsmen who's easier to catch on the phone. If I were in the market, I'd call him for details. I usually order from him over the phone.

·
Registered
522 Posts
No ramps. No For Sale. No Dice.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I tried a wolftooth GC 42 on my stumpy, Xtr shadow + derailleur, sram 1050 cassette, KMC x10 chain
Shifted great 19 on up but the hesitation 11 thru 13 drove me nuts everything was dialed tight wasn't going to get any better, I really thing it has everything to do with the bscrew length, Hence going to a 40 tooth would help a lot in getting those bottom shifts back..
I'm going for the Hope ring soon as its available..

·
Registered
365 Posts
I cant see how going from 42 down to 40 will make much of a difference shifting. Most of the feedback says the 42 to 36 shift works fine, its the 11-19 range that suffers because of the slack B tension setting.

Regardless, either setup will compromised because of the 17t removal. One of the big cog manufacturers really need to make a quality 16t cog.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I cant see how going from 42 down to 40 will make much of a difference shifting. Most of the feedback says the 42 to 36 shift works fine, its the 11-19 range that suffers because of the slack B tension setting.

Regardless, either setup will compromised because of the 17t removal. One of the big cog manufacturers really need to make a quality 16t cog.
Going from 42 to 40 and Moving the b tension more inward Will help in shifting quite a bit. I did a little experiment before i removed longer B screw.
I put on my 11-36 and kept the longer screw in set for a 42 and it still hesitated on 11 -13 I dialed it down to where a 40 tooth would be approximately and shifting improved, dialed it to stock and and got back to perfect ..

·
Registered
365 Posts
^^^ but you're still just guessing. Theoretically it might work better, but until someone actually tries a 40T, we'll all just be speculating.

A 2 tooth change will only make a little difference in the B screw position. I hardly had to move my b screw at all when I changed from a 11-32t cassette to a 11-36t.

·
Registered
19 Posts
from what has been said by the description of the absolute black 40t is that very little b screw adjustment is needed. where with the 42t the b screw adjustment is so far past its operating limit that sometimes a longer screw is needed. this is where the poor shifting and poor chain wrap in the 11 and 13 tooth cogs comes from (i do not own a 42t this is just based on everything that has been posted and brought up). the 40t seems to be a promising compromise to give lower gearing than the standard cassette as well as maintain closer to original shift feel and speed. this is of course all theory, we wont know until they come out. so until then...let the non fact based speculative discussion continue!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts