Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK now we have more options, more player with more products.
I am debating between 40 or 42t.
Seems like 42t with shimano rear der has a bit more problem than SRAM counter part at least that is my impression after reading about 42t cog thread.
I personally would like to get 42t, but if there's significant shifting issue, then 40t will do.

So what do you think 40 vs 42t? Pro and cons?

·
NedwannaB
12,770 Posts
Thanks JMac!!
No prob. I've been looking into an ad-on cog. Thinking a 38t would do me fine if I kept a 34-36t ring up front. Still deciding.....

Sounds like the Hope's are getting a lot of interest and on backorder already.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
No prob. I've been looking into an ad-on cog. Thinking a 38t would do me fine if I kept a 34-36t ring up front. Still deciding.....

Sounds like the Hope's are getting a lot of interest and on backorder already.
You've gotta be one or more of: stand-and-masher on climbs, on a 26" wheeled bike, in great shape, or live in an area with no substantial hills.

I"m a sit-and-spin type and have a 30T front ring and 11-36 cassette and it's fine for me most of the time but wish I had a lower gear on some climbs... couldn't imagine a 34-36 up front without something bigger than a 36 in the back.

·
NedwannaB
12,770 Posts
You've gotta be one or more of: stand-and-masher on climbs, on a 26" wheeled bike, in great shape, or live in an area with no substantial hills.

I"m a sit-and-spin type and have a 30T front ring and 11-36 cassette and it's fine for me most of the time but wish I had a lower gear on some climbs... couldn't imagine a 34-36 up front without something bigger than a 36 in the back.

140# rider, a lot of single speeding, both ht and fs are 650b's. Typical rides with some shorter close to home outings mixed in:

1x9 32t/11-34t cassette

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Anna likes the new build near Santa Rosa | Times and Records | Strava

SS 34:19

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | SSkirt'n Anna's BoobSS and Wet SSpotSS near Santa Rosa | Times and Records | Strava

So as not to toot my own horn, it would be a 34t ring x 38t or a 36tx40t granny respectfully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts