Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
RIP Friendgirl
462 Posts
What shifter are you using on that 10sp derailleur?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hint:

You can disassemble some 8 speed cassettes - such as CS-HG31-8, replace all spacers with those from 9 speed cassette, add 40T cog and get a "native" 9 speed 11-40 cassette.

11-32 8 speed with replaced spacers + one-up cog has 11-13-15-17-21-24-28-32-40 spacing and no breaks in the range. It works awesome.

CS-HG41-8 also works fine.

·
squish, squish in da fish
1,712 Posts
looks good, but that 5 tooth jump in the middle of your cassette doesn't bother you? it'd drive me nuts. also, what ring are you running, looks like maybe a 30t?

·
RIP Friendgirl
462 Posts
A 20T cog would make it almost perfect. I may never go 10sp if this works out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Great work, eyco! I've been wondering this myself but I never actually tried to test anything. I suppose losing the 18t was the best compromise, could you choose to lose the 16t or would that not be doable/it would be more beneficial to keep that cog?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes when i disassemble the cassette i had to chose between the 16 to the 18, i keep'd the 16 eventually cause i figured it will be more beneficial for speed or cadence then the 18.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Awesome work! Thanks for sharing

I might have to try this as well. I have most of the parts, and wasn't stoked about switching to 10 speed.

Was it difficult to remove the pins? Do you have any tips to share for doing this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
glad it was helpful.. im also dont see the point of 10spd, 9spd is more then Enough.

the pins got out very easily, i knock them out using a hammer and a nail, but anything similar can work.
after you build the cassette the pins will be a little longer now, so i grind them a little and left just a tiny bit, then i hammer the top of the pin's to close them good.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
This is great news. Of course I just purchased a full 10 speed drivetrain in order to go 1x. Good thing I still have all my 9sp stuff stuff for a backup bike :)

·
RIP Friendgirl
462 Posts
This IS a great thing, but don't overlook the elephant in the room. $90-100 is a lot for one cog.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts