Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Hint:

You can disassemble some 8 speed cassettes - such as CS-HG31-8, replace all spacers with those from 9 speed cassette, add 40T cog and get a "native" 9 speed 11-40 cassette.

11-32 8 speed with replaced spacers + one-up cog has 11-13-15-17-21-24-28-32-40 spacing and no breaks in the range. It works awesome.

CS-HG41-8 also works fine.

· Registered
308 Posts
Great work, eyco! I've been wondering this myself but I never actually tried to test anything. I suppose losing the 18t was the best compromise, could you choose to lose the 16t or would that not be doable/it would be more beneficial to keep that cog?

· Registered
402 Posts
Awesome work! Thanks for sharing

I might have to try this as well. I have most of the parts, and wasn't stoked about switching to 10 speed.

Was it difficult to remove the pins? Do you have any tips to share for doing this?

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
glad it was helpful.. im also dont see the point of 10spd, 9spd is more then Enough.

the pins got out very easily, i knock them out using a hammer and a nail, but anything similar can work.
after you build the cassette the pins will be a little longer now, so i grind them a little and left just a tiny bit, then i hammer the top of the pin's to close them good.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.