Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get either for about the same price. I would drop the 40 to 7" and not have downtube issues or go with the totem and get it to work with some equipment changes ( ie headset ) I figure the weight difference is very small. I would need the 1 1/8" totem to give me some ability to clear the downtube ( 6.5 # or 6.8#). I already have a fun DH bike with a 40 rcs and really like it. Just wondering what I should do? Or wait until fox comes out with 180mm van 38. Anyone running a 40 at 7"?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Personally i would choose the Totem if it were my bike. I ran a Boxxer on an Uzzi a couple years ago and wasn't impressed with the turning radius (or lack of) i switched to the Marz. 66RC and it was a much better compliment to the Uzzi. I was running a small frame and an external headset and had a VERY small amount of clearance with the topcap of the fork and the downtube. I don't know if you service your own equipment but there isn't much to go wrong with the Totem, and it has some BADA$$ quick lube ports on the back of each fork leg which makes changing the lubricating oil a sinch (no need to drop the lowers) :thumbsup: Just my 2 cents. Ride On

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think i will drop my current 40 to 7" and throw it on there and see if I like it. I could always leave it and throw the 888 back on the M1. The totem is so sexy, I want the galvanized and it is available for distributors to purchase but not one has ordered any yet ( spoke with rock shox) so I may need to bug my LBS to get quality to order me one.

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
Have you considered the Marzocchi 66 or the new 66SL? If you are smaller and lighter the SL's air spring may be more tunable for your weight than a coil fork (plus at less than six pounds keeps the bike from being such a tank). I run the 66 coil on my Uzzi and it suits the bike perfectly. If you already have the dh bike w/ dual crown fork, I'd be looking at a single crown. I have never been much of a RockShox fan, although their new stuff looks better than their past efforts.

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have thought of the 66. I'm not familiar with the rcx2 model. I would have to remove the right leg spring to get the correct sag and I'm not sure how that would effect the low speed compression damping and the big hit performance. I have had several Marz ( Bomber ,am1, Z1 FR1,Z1 sl, 888) and they were super plush but had to much brake dive for my weight. I strongly disliked the SL due to all the air chambers and I had to send 3 of those 5 in for problems.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
The 66rcx2 will feel most like your old Z1 or your 888. It's very supple but also subject to "brake dive" as much as either of those other forks. Personally I like a fork that drops some when on the front brake. If I come into a corner too hot, a little stab on the front to drop the bars is just what the doctor ordered to make it out cleanly.;)

With brake dive comes plushness......something a lot of people seem to forget. And riding big bikes, my bias is much more towards even braking or even more towards the rear because steering is important on scary trails where the wrong line means crashing as much as it means slower. On my xc bike, I'm all about the front brake. Those skinny little tires like to skid.:D

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
kidwoo said:
The 66rcx2 will feel most like your old Z1 or your 888. It's very supple but also subject to "brake dive" as much as either of those other forks. Personally I like a fork that drops some when on the front brake. If I come into a corner too hot, a little stab on the front to drop the bars is just what the doctor ordered to make it out cleanly.;)

With brake dive comes plushness......something a lot of people seem to forget. And riding big bikes, my bias is much more towards even braking or even more towards the rear because steering is important on scary trails where the wrong line means crashing as much as it means slower. On my xc bike, I'm all about the front brake. Those skinny little tires like to skid.:D
cmon guys can't you tell she's in 40 envy mode? get that Fox 40 and don't look back! Ti springs!! :thumbsup:

agree with the brake dive comments tho, there's a little tradeoff that actually comes in handy! the marzocchi plush is really something much different than anything i've ever had.

·
G3Riders
168 Posts
I can get either for about the same price. I would drop the 40 to 7" and not have downtube issues or go with the totem and get it to work with some equipment changes ( ie headset ) I figure the weight difference is very small. I would need the 1 1/8" totem to give me some ability to clear the downtube ( 6.5 # or 6.8#). I already have a fun DH bike with a 40 rcs and really like it. Just wondering what I should do? Or wait until fox comes out with 180mm van 38. Anyone running a 40 at 7"?
My friend rides Uzzi VPX with Fox DH40 in 8" mode. Swears for its functionality :)

Fox DH40 has very low A2C, might be as low as Totem's.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
FWIW, I rode my uzzi with my 888 on it for a while this summer. It felt fine. I'm sure you could get the fox just as low in the 8" setting if you wanted.

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is not 40 envy I have one already on my M1. I'm just trying to find the right fork. The AC on the 40 and the totem are almost the same but get another 20mm out of the 40. I can't run the ti springs I'm too light. But it comes out to the same weight with the extra soft one.

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you running the 1.5 or 1 1/8 version? I just found out that the galvanized coil will not be sold to distributors. It will be an OEM fork.

·
Registered
136 Posts
kidwoo said:
Jesus......that better include hookers and blow
Intense is not cheap in the UK but they have taken a 20% ish price drop in october which is good ( never asked about the hooker ).

Heather the type of riding do you do will influence your decision. If you need your turning circle go for the totem but you already have to 40's so try them!! But thats my opinion :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.