Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately i am a true Uber Clydesdale but looking to change that. I am only short and so need 26 inch wheels. I highly doubt it but is there any super strong wheels/Hubs/tires i can consider .. i have an old steel trek so the frame is fine i think. but it has always been the wheels and hubs n tires killing me. I know most Clydes seem to be 200-250 pds but if anyone has any idea pls. It will only be used for trails ,paths and roads predominantly.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
ive been 270 and ride my 27.5" x 3.0" tires pretty hard. but there is a big diff to 400.

not much around either in 26" wheels.

we did have a norco xs fluid ht that has 26" plus tires. but these were very cheap wheels.

best bet is to get a fat bike as they have lower designs for stepping off in the snow
and the big tires can carry a load w lower absolute tire pressures.

so maybe start shopping there.

stick to gravel trails as pedalling under inflated tires on pavement, which you will have to do, will feel like pushing a car w a flat tire. lots of work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive been 270 and ride my 27.5" x 3.0" tires pretty hard. but there is a big diff to 400.

not much around either in 26" wheels.

we did have a norco xs fluid ht that has 26" plus tires. but these were very cheap wheels.

best bet is to get a fat bike as they have lower designs for stepping off in the snow
and the big tires can carry a load w lower absolute tire pressures.

so maybe start shopping there.

stick to gravel trails as pedalling under inflated tires on pavement, which you will have to do, will feel like pushing a car w a flat tire. lots of work.
tku v m indeed any suggestions for strong fat tyre bikes ?

·
Registered
444 Posts
26 is fine. It was standard too long to completely go away. If you have disk brakes, you can use any wheel tire combination that doesn't rub the frame. Rim brakes are going to be wheel size specific. Have a shop make sure your spokes are tensioned properly and go ride. If stuff breaks, replace it and keep riding until stuff doesn't break anymore.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,399 Posts
Stretch-given your height-weight, have you considered riding a stationary bike and taking spin classes? In person classes and virtual classes are available on a variety of platforms.

I mention this because in 2008-2009, I weighed closed to 340lbs (6' tall). In less than 6 months, I dropped over 100lbs by spinning 5+ times a week and tracking my diet using an app. The diet tracking kept me honest. The spinning was super fun after the first month. In fact, I became an indoor cycling instructor. To date, I have maintained the weight loss and my indoor teaching certifications.

Spinning will allow you to regularly ride regardless of weather. And if you bonk (get exhausted), you can just walk away, rest, and then come back at it later.

On topic, I say ride what you have until you destroy it. Without a trust-fund budget, it will be challenging to source a bike which fits and performs to your current fitness level. And keep on keeping on!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone , i am going to local bike shop and just getting stronger wheels made. Sticking with my old TREK frame. I am not experienced enough to know how to do it. gong from 26 to 27.5 inch to get the strength. WTB KOM touch rims the rest up to them will pay a touch more for swiss hubs . They say no issue for my size. Tyres is the current debate but i don't think that will be an issue. Thanks for the help/support v much appreciated

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I would have thought a smaller diameter wheel would be stronger, but the key to wheel strength is using a good rim and using quality spokes and nipples and most importantly lacing it right.
Lots of video's showing you have to lace a wheel, but its time consuming and you require lots and lots of patience and time for the first few wheel builds.
I never breached 400 lbs but I came very close and stayed there. Lost a lot of weight on the Keto diet and eliminating sugar, bread, cola, flour, pasta, cereal etc etc etc.
I have pancaked many wheels in my time but I always cheaped out, find a good bicycle shop that laces wheels, see if they do proper frame fitment but everyone has their own preferred riding styles. I always used to ride 19" frames but I have ridden a bicycle frame size larger then that and it fits perfectly, so now I seek out cruiser style bicycles that are slightly stretched or 20" or 21" or 22" frames, staying cheap with rigids but once I lose 125lbs I will splurge for a full suspension.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.