Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked out both the Gary Fisher Opie and the GT Avalanche 3.0. Both are the same price. Any thoughts on these particular models? Don't know if it makes a difference but I weigh 225 so something beefy would be nice. I'm looking to do trails, nothing crazy but want something durable that can be upgraded in the future when my skills increase.

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would say go with the Opie. You will probably get more frame for your money with the Fisher. Believe me, if you get into riding, in a year, the frame is the only thing you will want to keep. (I've ridden a Marin hardtail with the same components and I have a bad case of upgrade fever)

P.S. Some of the components you wouldn't always think about at first are better on the Fisher, such as the pedals and hubs. Good Luck:thumbsup:

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
As a former warranty manager...I will give you this piece of info:

Fisher's parent company (Trek) has a good reputation and backs up their products with a great (and usable) warranty

GT's parent company (Pacific Cycles) had a pretty crappy warranty policy a few years ago (and never answered the fricken phone when you called them)...if its anything like that now, not sure I'd go that route.

As it is, neither really stand out from the other parts wise...so I'd go Fisher based on the support alone...just in case something broke that shouldn't have (normal wear and tear and abuse don't count).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts