Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here I am yesterday, getting on BART (the subway), and, as I'm looking for the next car arrive, I see the front of a unusual seafoam colored bike immediatley catch my eye about halfway down the station. Holy S%$*t its a Type II!!!

Wow, I immediatley start walking towards him as the next subway car arrives. I look at his bike for a second as he's boarding his train and immediatley recognize it! what made matters worse was it was my size!!!!!!! By now the doors are about to close and this isnt my train its going to another destination. I hurridly ask the guy the old line "Hey, you want to sell that bike?". he replies the expected answer from any owner of one of these fine bikes. "No". I almost expected it. Out of sheer panic I throw out a number "I'll give you $300.00for it" , Doors are closing,....

"Really!"

He bit!!! Jump thru the doors as they are closing!!! . He said he owned the bike for 11 years and was tired of looking for the replacement parts as he could never get parts for his bike. He pointed to the rear brake and said he had been looking for some parts and gave up. He said every bike store he went to never had parts, but they always asked him if he wanted to sell it. One guy had also offered him 300.00. I finally bumped my offer to $400.00. He took it! I didn't really know what train I was on, but really didn't care at this point!!

see pic's below. What do you think?

It''s funny the other day I told someone I really didn't have room for another bike. What was I thinking when I said that? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
first time for me!!

Fillet-brazed said:
Wow! Cool story and what a find!!!

Ive never been successful in buying a bike off the street like that. Great find!

I have a lonely Potts stem in that same sea foam color. :)
usually its NO! for me too.

I had a moment of panic because the seatpost was stuck!
I just got it off though using some liquid wrench and there's a WTB pump in the seat tube!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the serial # is under the cable guide

Rumpfy said:
Ho-le-sh!t.

I think that could be the best score of 2005!

Very, very well played! And congrats! :D

That looks very similar to mine. What's the serial number on that guy?
I'm going thru the bike in the next few days new cables some "upgrades" etc.....

I'll let you know,

It has the older style grease guard roller cams and XT 6 speed. not a dent on it amazing.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Too bad you didn't have a heart rate monitor as you were losing your train and about ready to finalize on a "deal of the century" type sale. Nice find! considering that's about market value for the brakes alone!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pardon my ignorance...

ssmike said:
Too bad you didn't have a heart rate monitor as you were losing your train and about ready to finalize on a "deal of the century" type sale. Nice find! considering that's about market value for the brakes alone!
I've been riding since about 91, but I was 16 then and didn't have much of a clue then (or now) - what exactly is a type II?

really cool looking bike though, gotta admit, i was staring at the pics for a few mins before i realized i had no idea what i was looking at...

educate me? :)

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
anosilverheckler said:
I've been riding since about 91, but I was 16 then and didn't have much of a clue then (or now) - what exactly is a type II?

really cool looking bike though, gotta admit, i was staring at the pics for a few mins before i realized i had no idea what i was looking at...

educate me? :)
It's a fork found on Potts and Cunningham bikes. (other bikes too I'm sure, but mostly these).

Very labor intensive to make but comes with teriffic handeling and stiffness.
Plus the cool factor is though the roof.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.