Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a dual crown soon, but can't decide yet. I "assume" that since the Travis is going to replace the Sherman line and the Dorado... it will be a freeride and dh fork. Wondering how all of you with the 40 think that I will stand up to freeriding. Up to 10 foot drops fairly often, and about 180 all geared up. I'm pretty sure that it is sick for everything including freeriding. Don't know if I should wait till the Travis comes out and get that. Also does anyone have any idea if the Travis dual crown will be available in a 1.5? (I know that it hasn't been reeased to the public yet... but some people have connections) Thanks for any info

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Rally Blue said:
Looking to get a dual crown soon, but can't decide yet. I "assume" that since the Travis is going to replace the Sherman line and the Dorado... it will be a freeride and dh fork. Wondering how all of you with the 40 think that I will stand up to freeriding. Up to 10 foot drops fairly often, and about 180 all geared up. I'm pretty sure that it is sick for everything including freeriding. Don't know if I should wait till the Travis comes out and get that. Also does anyone have any idea if the Travis dual crown will be available in a 1.5? (I know that it hasn't been reeased to the public yet... but some people have connections) Thanks for any info
I will get back to you about the 40 in a few weeks. It comes in late this week or early next week.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice

have fun. Make sure to break it in b4 you thrash on it. Buddy got on and bottomed it hard a couple of times b4 he got a heavier spring kit. now when unloaded there is a lot of play in the lowers.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The best info I have seen so far on the Travis

Rally Blue said:
Has been on www.ridemonkey.com. DO a search on the DH forum. They had a recent thread that had lots of info on the new Travis line. Availability was said to be August, I think.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
The aftermarket version will be available in August, but I have heard that OEM versions of the Travis and R7 (XC fork from Manitou) will be available in something like 45 days. So, if you can find someone to hook you up, you might be able to get one a little earlier.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
yeah just like a car its a god idea to break a fork in slowly. However, in the rare case of someone owning a $1600 fork and reading the manual, you would notice 40's are built to have play in them. Bushings are sized so that when they heat up, they perfectly fit and work like a dream. Check first few pages of manual, fox says the fork is supposed to have play standing still. The travis will be a sick fork, but if you are concerned about the 40 holding up, me and my bud have been abusing ours for 3 months and no problems what so ever. The 40 is also fairly progressive which is a new think for fox forx. No one knows about the travis yet, but i will fully reccomend the 40 to you as a FR fork!

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
j6105 said:
yeah just like a car its a god idea to break a fork in slowly. However, in the rare case of someone owning a $1600 fork and reading the manual, you would notice 40's are built to have play in them. Bushings are sized so that when they heat up, they perfectly fit and work like a dream.
Close, but no cigar.

The bushings are made a little smaller so that when you ride, the oil fills the void between the sliders and bushings. It's called hydrodyamic lubing or some big word.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
TheSherpa said:
Close, but no cigar.

The bushings are made a little smaller so that when you ride, the oil fills the void between the sliders and bushings. It's called hydrodyamic lubing or some big word.
Sort of related...when parked on the ground the fuel tanks of the SR-71 airplane leak because they are designed to expand and form a tight seal under the temperatures that occur at Mach 3 flight. So when its just sitting there, there is a huge puddle underneath it. Imagine if the 40 leaked oil when it was just sitting there. That would suck.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
TS--
"Thermal expansion rates can cause the bushings to close in on the upper tubes causing high friction and binding during normal operation. Correct bushing clearance is critical to prevent binding of fork during normal operation."

Basically, we are both correct. As the fork heats up the bushings expand enough to trap the oil between them and complete hydrodynamic lubrication. That is why the bushings can still wear out, but they do not contact during use. Cool stuff really. But there is a small amount of play at stationary because the gap between the bushings is too large for the oil to create seperation. Only fox would try something like this because tolerances on the bushings have to be between 0.0015 and 0.0090 according to manual. Stoked.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
Sort of related...when parked on the ground the fuel tanks of the SR-71 airplane leak because they are designed to expand and form a tight seal under the temperatures that occur at Mach 3 flight. So when its just sitting there, there is a huge puddle underneath it. Imagine if the 40 leaked oil when it was just sitting there. That would suck.
Yea, i've heard of that. Not sure i'd want a bunch of leaking fuel all over my plane, but i guess they worked.

Also, on the 40, were talking .015mm gap. Feels like a barely loose headset at standstill.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
this is true, you friend F-ed it up if there is a loose knocking sound.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
brand new porsches leak oil on the showroom floor for the same reasons. and everytime you start one up, a puff of burned oil shoots out the exhaust.

a friend of mine took his new big hit down porcupine rim and his manatou blew up, first ride, coated in oil, done. he's going back to marzocchi.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
ten bucks that manitou was the stance dual crown one. those things have BAD track records......thats what manitou gets for letting RST build some of their forks

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
TheSherpa said:
Yea, i've heard of that. Not sure i'd want a bunch of leaking fuel all over my plane, but i guess they worked.

Also, on the 40, were talking .015mm gap. Feels like a barely loose headset at standstill.
There's a huge thread on RM about the bushing play and stuff on Foxes and Transcend who used to work at Fox said that for the most part if people send it in complaining of bushing wear they don't really change them unless there's visible wear on them because of the fact that they're designed to last a lot longer.

·
Registered
689 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
i've never heard of the Travis, but i do know there won't be a 1.5 DC........
Actually your are wrong. The travis will be offered in 11/8 for the 8in version, and 1.5 for the 7in version. Manitou also has a 8in SC in the works. The travis will have 35mm stanchions and is replacing the dorado. The sherman line continues. They are supposed to be super light. As far as performance goes no body has a clue. If youd like to ask one of the few pros who is on one then thatd be your best best.

I have a DH40 and it flat out rocks. As J said the bushing play is simply supposed to be there. The fork is beautiful, nothing touches it quality wise. Its made in the USA, fox support is awsome and its the stiffest fork out there. Compared to my dorado it BLOWS it away as far as cornereing and tracking goes, bump absorption is close to the same but yeah if you've got the cash go for it. Im 145-150ibs and I run everything completaly open with the stock Ti springs and haven't bottemed it yet. Most think it is a linear fork but they don't realize fox provided the "boost" valve which is an extra compression adjustment besides the high and low speed to preven botteming. Its a great fork by far the best I have ridden. It smokes my old 2005 dorado, Sherpas works 888 and it pisses all over a shiver.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
Avy dosent even use a steerer...
i feel a hint of sarcasim in that comment... I personally love my avy. but my buddys fox 40 named by rally blue feels like sh!t now. At first it was great but now it feels really sloppy at all times

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.