Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
30 miler singlespeed class. I originally wanted to start at 5 hours/wk and ramp up to 10. I had a back injury that put me out for months and then a month of work travel.

Now I'm 5 weeks out from this thing with almost no training and a 1 week business trip that I'd get back from friday with the race saturday. I did 1.5 hours on the eliptical in zone 2 during the business trip and was ok with that, so I'm not in terrible shape. But SS is it's own thing of course and needs more interval work.

Any tips? Should I try to lay down more base for 3 weeks and then to intervals for 2? Or just F the science and go ride SS for a month? Or forget this one and hit the next race in the season?

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,267 Posts
I think your plan is a good idea - do some base work before jumping into the high intensity stuff. Personally, I find intervals too fatiguing, taking away from my time on the bike, when my base fitness isn't ready for it. At least 30 miles isn't ultra-endurance-length. You could certainly finish, no doubt. Doing as well as you would like might be the hard part, or you might do better than you expect. It's all about setting the right expectation based on your available time to train.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
4 weeks till the race? Hell yeah, 4 weeks is enough time to prep for race if you have a "OK" base in. You going to have use intervals and muscular endurance rides, picking and choosing will be a waste.

With work you can somewhat easily add 10 points to CTL and taper to TSB below 0.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like work decided for me. I'm flying back the night before the race and won't get in till the AM. Not gonna try to do that then wake up in a few hours to drive to the race. I'll hit the next one in the series.

·
Registered
861 Posts
For mountain bike riding intervals don't really make a ton of sense especially in prep for 30 mile type events. Just get good steady rides in on your single speed and play with gearing so you are comfortable with the conditions and terrain you will face.

The one thing that you can do that will make a big difference is cut body weight. This year I have been using calorie restriction and fasting once a week. This has helped me bring my weight down but also seems to be teaching my body to do a better job fueling efforts with fats vs. stored glycogen. Even in a few weeks you can cut down and trim off three to six pounds depending on where you start. This may also shifts your body to be more endurance focused and burn a higher ratio of fats better on race day. 30 miles is a pretty short effort but if you body is more in fat burning mode you may have better endurance for the final bit of the race.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
For mountain bike riding intervals don't really make a ton of sense especially in prep for 30 mile type events. Just get good steady rides in on your single speed and play with gearing so you are comfortable with the conditions and terrain you will face.

The one thing that you can do that will make a big difference is cut body weight. This year I have been using calorie restriction and fasting once a week. This has helped me bring my weight down but also seems to be teaching my body to do a better job fueling efforts with fats vs. stored glycogen. Even in a few weeks you can cut down and trim off three to six pounds depending on where you start. This may also shifts your body to be more endurance focused and burn a higher ratio of fats better on race day. 30 miles is a pretty short effort but if you body is more in fat burning mode you may have better endurance for the final bit of the race.

Good luck.
This is terrible advice to be honest. Calorie restriction diets are bullshit especially for racing MTB's. Glycogen stores are the main energy for endurance athletes. A high carb low fat diet is the endurance athletes fuel of choice. Showing up to a race calorie restricted and with lack of interval training is why you're maybe a finisher and not a competitor. Carb the [email protected] up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is terrible advice to be honest. Calorie restriction diets are bullshit especially for racing MTB's. Glycogen stores are the main energy for endurance athletes. A high carb low fat diet is the endurance athletes fuel of choice. Showing up to a race calorie restricted and with lack of interval training is why you're maybe a finisher and not a competitor. Carb the [email protected] up.
Agree 100%!! I"m no trainer or Cat 1 mtb racer but intervals have been working for me in my mtb training/racing. A training plan that specifically attempts to cut calories/weight as a primary goal before a mtb race(long or short) sounds like a receipe for disaster.

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you go to the race with no expectations other than finishing it will likely be really good for your fitness. Just try and ride a lot between now and the race, and then make sure you go into the race semi-well rested. Sounds like you will be gone and not get to ride for a few days before the race, which is ok. You may have a slow start but you'll work into your pace. As somebody already mentioned, 30 miles is doable for most semi consistent MTB'rs. Good luck.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,914 Posts
wow no base no training 4 weeks
----

I'd say lay down --all base--, zone 2 bike riding only. what does the elliptical do for riding except take time off the bike ?

ride every day. Rest day means just ride 30 minutes super easy, just turn pedals over for 30 minutes, 90rpm. then stop.

don't waste time anything else, except also do some squats and wall-holding squats. no squats week before race. perhaps 3rd week you want a few 'I can taste blood' anaerobic intervals, just so you are familiar with your upper limit. but don't do many....

on race day, explode.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,914 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I second this. Also, time spent gaining fitness & sharpening skills on the bike will serve you better than any weight/core workout people advise. You don't seem to have much training time to spare, so ride plenty, but take it easier a few days before the race.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
of course, BUT he has only 4 weeks

base is typically 3 months of time to work on it

4 weeks only the goal is spin spin spin
Only 4 weeks?

4 weeks with the method above is was good for 15 point CTL increase which included me catching my GF's damn cold. Don't forget the FTP adjustment.

Attachments

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,914 Posts
^depends on how long you been off the bike
before those 4 weeks really. from a long time off 4 weeks is barely enough to toughen the sit bones

·
Registered
523 Posts
wow no base no training 4 weeks
----

I'd say lay down --all base--, zone 2 bike riding only. what does the elliptical do for riding except take time off the bike ?

ride every day. Rest day means just ride 30 minutes super easy, just turn pedals over for 30 minutes, 90rpm. then stop.

don't waste time anything else, except also do some squats and wall-holding squats. no squats week before race. perhaps 3rd week you want a few 'I can taste blood' anaerobic intervals, just so you are familiar with your upper limit. but don't do many....

on race day, explode.
What do squats do for riding except take time off the bike? :)
Wouldn't some hill work be better for developing strength? This guy doesn't seem to be able to commit a lot of time.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey all, I wanted to jump back in here to kind of steer things. I won't be able to do the race due to the work travel and when I get back in. However I plan on training 'as if' for fun and then running a similar distance/elevation ride time trial style.

On diet. I don't feel I need to cut weight. I'm very familiar with short term cutting from wrestling and BJJ in a pervious life. I don't think it will have any benefit. (I'm lean already) Also my most effective cutting method through experience is low carb, but I eat a mostly plant based, high carb diet right now and perform better on the bike when I eat like this. F low carb, it works but it's miserable and eating that much meat would put me in a coma at this point.

Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate the advice. I'll be focusing on volume at Z2/Z3 and a couple of 2 hours rides a week on the SS.

[email protected] the sit bones comment above, it's SS mang, we don't sit! ;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.