Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,
Hope you can help. I'm looking at a 4 to 5 inch xc/all mountain dual susp. frame. I have pretty good(new parts) to put on it so I don't need a full bike. There are so many options out there but I have tried to narrow it a bit...

My last 2 bikes have been a Giant atx team hard tail and currently i'm on a Rocky Mountain Hammer (and I love it!)

I'm just wondering what is the best buy of the following frames:

Santa Cruz Heckler
Salsa El Santo
BMC Trailstar
Yeti 575 (i know it has a bit more travel)
any other suggestions?

I'm erring on the Salsa (have not heard one bad word about the brand or this bike), but was wondering if it suits racer boys more or if it is relaxed enough for general freeride use.

Thanks in advance,

Haydos.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Heckler, great pricepoint and it is bomb proof. So you could build it up as a lighter XC bike or something heavier that can take drops, added bonus you might be able to pick up the older model for cheaper since they just released the new Heckler, unless you want that one.

Yeti 575 would be another great bike, ride very well for the amount of travel it has. You will probably spend a little more on a fully built Yeti 575 vs. a Heckler.

Not heard anything about the Salsa bike or the BMC Trailstar.

Check out a Iron Horse MKIII for a bike too!

·
Registered
681 Posts
A little more information would allow people to help you out. Where do you live? What kind of terrain do you regularly ride? How much do you weigh? Are you an aggressive rider? Do you break a lot of stuff? What kind of bike are you looking to build? A lot of climbing, mainly downhill, all around, etc. It'll just help people give more directed comments.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.
gabe0807,
I live in Melbourne Australia, I weigh 210lb, I don't think i'm super agressive. My riding will mostly be on tech singletrack. Nothing with more than 2' to 3' drops. An all round fun bike to ride with my mates is what i'm looking for.
I will be putting on it...
07 sram x9
Avid BB7
Raceface Evolve cranks and accs
Eggbeaters
Bomber 105 MX comp air to begin with, then updating to a new fork by xmas 07. Depending on the bike to upto 130-140mm.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maverick ML8, or a ML 7.5. I have had a Heckler and ridden the other bikes listed. Either on of these would be a great all around bike for you with very efficient pedaling. By the way, I really like your city. I have been there a couple of times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.