Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out my new 4speed. I wanted a little more speed than a single so I am trying out the 4speed set up. I am using 1 easier and 2 harder than my SS. It was a breeze switching it over with the sliding dropouts. So glad I have them. Gearing is 36x15,18,21,24. Gear inches 69,58,49,43. I am using 8speed xtr shifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I able to adjust but i think its at its limit. I am hoping I dont need an outer ring to keep the chain on. I got the chain strectched pretty tight,so we'll see how it works. I like the xtr shadow derailurer nice low profile.

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
I've heard some people use 5 or even more cogs in the rear. Imagine the possibilities! Next thing you know people will be putting extra chainrings on their cranks.;)

·
Registered
536 Posts
eric_syd said:
This is pretty much my dream bike.
Why didn't you use a road (or short cage) rear derailleur?
24T (even 28T if needed) is well within range.
Ditto, that just screams out for a short-cage Dura-Ace RD. which will let you run a shorter chain and have more clearance than even an XTR Shadow RD.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Way to go...:thumbsup:

Great looking bike, and I agree about the short cage derailleur, it makes for a shorter chain and more compact setup...less likely to drop the chain.

R.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
What do you call the piece where a front derailleur would be. I had problems on a 1x9 with throwing the chain. I solved the problem with a Surly ring. It looks like this accomplishes an identical goal.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
imtb said:
I like the xtr shadow derailurer nice low profile.
How is setup on the Shadow? Pretty straight forward? I've read a few compliants on setup.....My M953 bangs the chainstay, minor annoyance when it happens, but the Shadow's design eliminates that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.