Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a complete Jet RDO that came SRAM X0 Trail brakes. I've read they have similar stopping power to the XTR trail brakes and was thinking about swapping out. I've read the posts about they have similar stopping power, the XOs are slightly lighter so that is all a wash.

Question is will 4 piston brakes be more of a headache? More than once I've had to deal with a stuck piston and don't want to double the chances of that. I want brakes that I don't have to mess with, they just continue to work. Thoughts? Comments?

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,341 Posts
More parts would mean more problems... In time as a piston gets sticky, it'll be harder to figur out, as compared to a 2 piston setup. 2x as many seals as well...

Avid doesn't have the best name in brakes either...

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
In theory, yes. In practice, usually not. From what I've seen as a former bike mechanic and the experiences of the people I ride with, the 4-piston brakes from Avid, Hope, and Shimano have about the same reliability & maintenance requirements as their 2-piston counterparts. They can be a bit more finicky to setup since the pads are larger and clearances are sometimes a bit tighter, but once that's done they seem to work just fine. I've been running 4-piston Shimano brakes (M755 XT, Zee, Saints) for nearly 15 years, never had sticky pistons, leaks, or any other issues. Have a few friends with Avid Codes and they had a bunch of issues like Avid's other brakes. The manufacturer matters more than anything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts