Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a stump jumper at The BicycleChain in Raleigh August 2020, that brought a SX set up.
I has now the 4th derailleur in less than a year and broke again..., I probable ride about 7 times on this one.
First two had issues, and got changed during warranty early in 2020.
The 3rd one broke off this year at the end of June, but they told me the warranty would not cover it and that they did not have it in stoke. I was recommend to order it though the internet. I found one the same day in All Stars bike shop in Raleigh and took it back to BChain for installation as is was still on warranty. They did, and charged me anyway.
The 4th also broke a little short after a month of being installed. My bike would be a year old in 08/2021, and is still under warranty.
Long story short I spoke back to them and over the phone they recognize it is a little too much, so they advised me to bring the bike back to them which I am considering.
The questions are:
1.- Can it just upgrade the derailleur for a GX or NX, or I need to change other components too?
2.- Have any body had any similar issues?

· since 4/10/2009
37,137 Posts
would have to know exactly what's going on. I mean, if you're really sloppy and keep riding through brush, snagging your derailleur on stuff, then you're gonna break it and you're lucky to have received any kind of warranty support.

maybe your hanger is borked. that'll kill derailleurs.

maybe your chain is too short as was mentioned already.

· EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,333 Posts
That is usually indicative of too short of a chain.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
oh yeah I agree this can do it
...munched a sram GX when I bottomed the suspension in the 46 on a stiff climb fumble..
added 2 links got new der, flawless since

Reactions: Albetico

· Registered
4,128 Posts
The SX is low end, but it shouldn't be constantly breaking. First find the cause of the actual problem. As many have stated a short chain is likely the cause. You can upgrade to NX or GX if you want, but find the problem first or you will just break those also.

Reactions: Albetico

· Registered
2 Posts
I end up having to replace my GX 10 speed rear derailleur at least once a year. I'm on my 4th one in 4 years, and I rarely ride > 1,000 mi a year lately. The rivet pins that attach the flat bar linkages wallow out the linkages, and shifting goes south gradually to the point where it's no longer usable.

Maybe it's due to a chain that's too short since I'm recently (within last 3 years) running a rear cassette with more teeth on the largest cog than the cassette I ran for the first 5 years, and probably didn't account for that when I sized the new chains (probably just copied the original length...)

The XX derailleur the bike came with originally lasted 5+ years, so I chalked the GX issues up to lower build quality, but it's probably a combo of that and operator error using a short chain.

In any case the 10 spd GX's are relatively inexpensive @ $64-ish, so I have just been replacing them.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
would have to know exactly what's going on. I mean, if you're really sloppy and keep riding through brush, snagging your derailleur on stuff, then you're gonna break it and you're lucky to have received any kind of warranty support.

maybe your hanger is borked. that'll kill derailleurs.

maybe your chain is too short as was mentioned already.
I ride hard, but don't fall often / not during the use on the last one. on last installation they changed the hanger and chain too. They shorten the brand new chain do.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ride hard, but don't fall often / not during the use on the last one. on last installation they changed the hanger and chain too. They shorten the brand new chain do.
In addition, I can tell you that I ride a cheaper brand bike with less skills for over a year and never had any issues with the derailleur. (A ~20 year old walmart full suspension MTB).

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The SX is low end, but it shouldn't be constantly breaking. First find the cause of the actual problem. As many have stated a short chain is likely the cause. You can upgrade to NX or GX if you want, but find the problem first or you will just break those also.
Agree. The problem is that every time they replaced the derailleur work just fine until the issue appeared.

· Registered
911 Posts
I've never had a derailleur break, but it would seem there should be a lot more failure points on the assembly before you get a crack like that. A quick search does indicate that a failure of this nature on the SX derailleur isn't exclusive to you. That said, my wife's Norco Fluid has an SX (A1) derailleur and we've had no issues after 1.5 years of use.

Who is installing the derailleurs? Maybe one too many ugga duggas on that 5mm hex bolt? Spec is only 11Nm.

It also looks like yours is the A1 version of the design. The B1 version is more similar to the current NX and GX derailleurs. Perhaps the B1 redesign is an answer to failures such as yours.

· EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,333 Posts
holy crap that is def short chain...I mean what else can rip that apart ?

my short chain issue only bent the cage, making shifting garbage, but workable

dang!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.