Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry the search feature is dead and manually going page by page w/ crawl up would take forever.

I'm in the process of building a "heavy duty" wheelset using XT Disc hubs and Mavic 321 rims. I got several links from another thread about wheel building and also have the Zinn Art of MTB maintanance, all of which provided info for a 3 Cross Spoke pattern. Sheldon Browns' site listed the normal usage of the cross paterns for the diff hole/spoke counts on rims and explained the reasons behind them. What I would like to know is... Is it possible/right to build a 32 hole/spoke wheel using the 4 cross pattern, as on Sheldons' site he listed 32 hole/spoke wheels as using 2 or 3 cross? Will it be stronger?

·
Registered
774 Posts
No

LyNx said:
Sorry the search feature is dead and manually going page by page w/ crawl up would take forever.

I'm in the process of building a "heavy duty" wheelset using XT Disc hubs and Mavic 321 rims. I got several links from another thread about wheel building and also have the Zinn Art of MTB maintanance, all of which provided info for a 3 Cross Spoke pattern. Sheldon Browns' site listed the normal usage of the cross paterns for the diff hole/spoke counts on rims and explained the reasons behind them. What I would like to know is... Is it possible/right to build a 32 hole/spoke wheel using the 4 cross pattern, as on Sheldons' site he listed 32 hole/spoke wheels as using 2 or 3 cross? Will it be stronger?
Divide the # of holes by 9 to get the maximum number of crosses you can use ,

36 hole hub and rim / 9 = 4 cross so the max with a 32 hole hub is 3 or you have interface problem at the hub do to the angles!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
With 4x lacing and a 32 spoke wheel, the when the spoke leaves the hub flange it will end up sitting on the spoke head of another spoke instead of on the hub flange.

Also, I believe that 4x lacing and a 32 spoke wheel will result in an angle that is less than 90 degrees between the spoke andhub which is less than ideal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.