Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

Title says most of it. This bike would replace my Specialized Hardrock (steel) and Trek 6000 (Alu)--both about 10 years old. To give you an idea, I just got back from a trail here in CA where the front brakes fell off, followed moments later but the majority of my front dero and shifter. I've been riding a long time, and I can be pretty brutal to a bike.

SO! What I'm really looking for is something that can take a beating. I don't need disc, I don't need suspension (I've never had front of rear), all I need is a bike that won't explode on me!

$600 is absolute most: looking to stay more toward the $400 side. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
Alex

--ps, as for used: both the Trek and Hardrock were used and NOTHING but trouble throughout their years. NOTHING but trouble. Everything was always broken. But if used is the only way to get a bulletproof bike, I'll bite. Thanks again!

·
SS Pusher Man
7,574 Posts
axle said:
Hi, all.

Title says most of it. This bike would replace my Specialized Hardrock (steel) and Trek 6000 (Alu)--both about 10 years old. To give you an idea, I just got back from a trail here in CA where the front brakes fell off, followed moments later but the majority of my front dero and shifter. I've been riding a long time, and I can be pretty brutal to a bike.

SO! What I'm really looking for is something that can take a beating. I don't need disc, I don't need suspension (I've never had front of rear), all I need is a bike that won't explode on me!

$600 is absolute most: looking to stay more toward the $400 side. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
Alex

--ps, as for used: both the Trek and Hardrock were used and NOTHING but trouble throughout their years. NOTHING but trouble. Everything was always broken. But if used is the only way to get a bulletproof bike, I'll bite. Thanks again!
Take a look at the Fisher Mullet. You should be able to find a model from last year that is marked down. Or a new one will run you about $600. If too expensive they also offer the Opie, but no disc brakes. What about the Specialized P.x series? Felt also makes a series of jump bikes, you may be able to find a used one or a hold over from last year.

With your limited budget, you will have to buy a big brand box bike if you plan to buy new.

mtnbikej

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
Check around, local LBS, mail order, there are alot of great deals on 1-2 year old bikes. You should be able to find something. I would suggest looking for something with a bit of quality so your not repairing it frequently, witch means you might have to spend a little xtra. KHS has some good bikes at great prices. Might want to check out a FS bike, they are spoilers!

·
SS Pusher Man
7,574 Posts
dogonfr said:
Check around, local LBS, mail order, there are alot of great deals on 1-2 year old bikes. You should be able to find something. I would suggest looking for something with a bit of quality so your not repairing it frequently, witch means you might have to spend a little xtra. KHS has some good bikes at great prices. Might want to check out a FS bike, they are spoilers!
Most FS bikes in the $4-600 price range are pretty much junk, unless you find a 1-2 year old bike that has been marked down.....alot. They are really heavy and compromise parts to have full suspension.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up with a Specialized Rockhopper. Went to the LBS and tried the Hardrock; the $120 extra for the Rockhopper seemed worth it. I probably got ripped off ($469 after 8.5% tax--THANKS LA COUNTY :( ), but at least I have it now. The trails are a LOT of fun with it--on my old bikes you had this kind of constant fear of death enveloping the ride, but now I have to get going at breakneck speed to feel insecure.

Thanks for the advice, all! Really got me pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
keep an eye on the bearings. a friend's new hardrock sport that came with cheap wheels developed play in the rear hub after only a few rides. another friend's low end diamond back also became loose in the hub after a month or two of riding. they really sell crap these days, $400 for a piece of crap is unreal. you expect that kind of thing from walmart junk. my old '87 rockhopper had great parts for $350 that were bullet proof; deore components that did not fall apart, kept their adjustments, required minimal maintenance (eg., something squeaking? time to oil it. check/inflate tires, good to go. new cassette? we dont need no stinking new cassette!)...

that said, not maintaining your stuff is what eventually leads to self destructing parts. being brutal and being neglectful are two different things, but considering you got 10 years of use with apparently no attention, those were a couple of *damn good bikes*.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
axle said:
Ended up with a Specialized Rockhopper. Went to the LBS and tried the Hardrock; the $120 extra for the Rockhopper seemed worth it. I probably got ripped off ($469 after 8.5% tax--THANKS LA COUNTY :( ), but at least I have it now. The trails are a LOT of fun with it--on my old bikes you had this kind of constant fear of death enveloping the ride, but now I have to get going at breakneck speed to feel insecure.Thanks for the advice, all! Really got me pointed in the right direction.
Awsome glad you got a bike that you can actually ride, enjoy!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts