Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently my 4.5c developed an annoying creak coming from the rear end. Investigating the problem today I found this. Any thoughts or insight into what to do with this? Everything is torqued to spec

*EDIT* Went back and re-tightened the axle beyond the recommended spec and it removed the slop and the creak without binding. Leaving this here in case someone has the same problem. Thanks to those who took the time to look at the video and offer advice.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sorry man, kind of hard to see as everything's rocking :skep: Have you checked the Collette axle to see if it's torqued properly and any other bolts that are connected, i.e. the SI link 4 bolts to the frame? Not sure how long you've had the bike, but you need to do fairly regular maintenance on those setups with collettes.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I would recommend going through and .asking all fastners are torque to spec. Also make sure the proper bolts have thread locker and others have grease. You can find this online on the yeti cycles site under support and manuals.

If this doesnt resolve it, one other source of creak is the DU shock bushings tend to wear out...

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
^^ Didn’t watch the video, huh?

How is the female portion of the collet fixed in the bore? The carbon looks good. Wonder if the collet is just slightly out of spec.

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it sorted last night. Went back and re-tightened the axle beyond the recommended spec and it removed the slop and the creak without binding.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I've learned to not go by torque with these setups, tighten until you just take all the play out of the system, then make sure the locking bolt is properly torqued. Most times recommended torque is too high and can cause binding, surprised to hear you had to tighten to more than the rec.

Got it sorted last night. Went back and re-tightened the axle beyond the recommended spec and it removed the slop and the creak without binding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.