Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read my other post, I'm trying to decide between a 4" (Flux) or a 5" (Moto-lite) bike. I'm just getting in to endurance racing. Here's what's a bit confusing. For short XC races, a shorter travel bike is usually best. For longer races, more travel (up to 4") is usually best.

But what about endurance racing. It seems that since these are so long that even longer travel bikes would be better. But nowadays 5" bikes (like a 5-spot or Moto-lite) are usually labeled trail bikes, while 4" bikes (like Flux or Racer-X) are labeled "Epic" or "long distance" bikes. I'm assuming that this is because efficiency is key in long rides, especially in mountainous areas. Anyone have insight?

·
Registered
359 Posts
How rough are the races you will ride? Let me start by saying that both are good frames. Of the two mentioned, I lean toward the Flux. Check out the Turner board and you will find very few bad comments about it or its predecessor the 3.5" burner. Also check the reviews. It is not all about amount of travel so much as it is about efficiency. You may consider the Yeti 575 if you WANT to go on the higher side. It is efficient, ballanced, etc. Or if you want to stay w/ Titus, you mentioned the Racer-X. May I suggest he 100mm model. Keep in mind what you will need to balance out whatever you choose with an appropriate fork. A flux/racer X 100 will be well matched with a minute 2 or Reba, perhapse a Float 100 or FX 100. All of these are relatively light for their travel. When you start stepping up to 5", the forks get bigger. If I can take a larger hit (more stress) I likely will, so I might need slighly beefier wheels, slightly bigger tires to keep up w/ the speed in the rough, etc. Pretty soon you are trying to race an all mountain heft for that extra bit of comfort. Finally, how much do you weigh? To a bigger guy, an extra pound is going to affect him less. The benefit of a little more plush and parts that wont fail during the race are worth it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leaning toward Flux

schwing_ding said:
mountain heft for that extra bit of comfort. Finally, how much do you weigh? To a bigger guy, an extra pound is going to affect him less. The benefit of a little more plush and parts that wont fail during the race are worth it.
Very good info. Thanks. I'm 140 lbs (wet) and love climbing. I think the Flux is going to fit the bill. I don't do any drops and ride pretty twisty singletrack. Plus I usually ride as fast as I can for the distance.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Want a light 4" travel bike that's smoother than a 5x5?

The Turner Flux 29er will be out next year. You can have it all.

29erchico

1 - 4 of 4 Posts