Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camping, riding, partying, riding and RIDING from 4/29 to 5/1 on Pinal Mountain.

I'm heading up to Globe the afternoon of the 29th and will set camp above the Upper Pinal Rec Area.

First Saturday and Sunday shuttle gathering: let's say 9 a.m. in the usual place each day. For those not in the know, follow the green Globe Ranger Station signs onto Six Shooter Canyon Road and look for the big open lot across from the turnoff onto Ice House Canyon Road.

Fast crews will probably get in 4 runs. The trails are of various difficulties but I would say they're generally harder than your typical XC trail. I recommend a longish-travel all-mountain bike (DH bikes are overkill and XC race bikes are probably most appropriate to the badasses) and body armor.

There are always a few who want to RIDE to the top. This is a big investment -- 4500' of climbing in 18 miles. Personally I'd still bring the bigger bike, cuz you're going to be tired at the top no matter what.

There are several ways off the mountain. We'll figure out when and how we're doing each when we get there. I don't know what trail conditions are.

Everyone's invited. Hope to meet more of you.

Dawn patrol ride out of camp at 7:30 each morning.

p.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,339 Posts
I am definitely going to try and make it. I have been wanting to ride there for some time.
I have a truck which can fit a few bikes in so if I am there I can pitch in for some shuttling. Sat. will be most likely. I'll update once it gets closer!

·
wheeeee!!!
360 Posts
Damn kitchen remodel

Grr - can't go. remodeling kitchen.
I may not get a weekend ride for a month or so.

Paul B said:
Camping, riding, partying, riding and RIDING from 4/29 to 5/1 on Pinal Mountain.

I'm heading up to Globe the afternoon of the 29th and will set camp above the Upper Pinal Rec Area.

First Saturday and Sunday shuttle gathering: let's say 9 a.m. in the usual place each day. For those not in the know, follow the green Globe Ranger Station signs onto Six Shooter Canyon Road and look for the big open lot across from the turnoff onto Ice House Canyon Road.

Fast crews will probably get in 4 runs. The trails are of various difficulties but I would say they're generally harder than your typical XC trail. I recommend a longish-travel all-mountain bike (DH bikes are overkill and XC race bikes are probably most appropriate to the badasses) and body armor.

There are always a few who want to RIDE to the top. This is a big investment -- 4500' of climbing in 18 miles. Personally I'd still bring the bigger bike, cuz you're going to be tired at the top no matter what.

There are several ways off the mountain. We'll figure out when and how we're doing each when we get there. I don't know what trail conditions are.

Everyone's invited. Hope to meet more of you.

Dawn patrol ride out of camp at 7:30 each morning.

p.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Can you give us a little more information?

on say the camping: Showers or Stinkfest, bathroom or bushes, pay for camping or find a spot and set up camp, tables, stoves, firepits, no fires, etc. you know is there a bathroom attendant handing out towels, or do we need to shove the bear's aside to get a good spot at the tree?

Is this a Men, Men, Men, Men kinda thing, or are the wives/GF's allowed, and is there suitable riding for "girlie men" and girls alike?

What is the drive like for central Phoenix, time-wise and road-wise, easy to find, help me I'm lost and it's real dark out here or what?

Armor: knee and elbow or full-chest protection?

Weather: freezing our #@$%#@^& off up top at night and frying our brians at the bottom? A guess at the nighttime and daytime temps?

Cost to camp, shuttle and "other supplys?"

Sorry, lots of Q's for someone that's never been.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJBiker said:
on say the camping: Showers or Stinkfest, bathroom or bushes, pay for camping or find a spot and set up camp, tables, stoves, firepits, no fires, etc. you know is there a bathroom attendant handing out towels, or do we need to shove the bear's aside to get a good spot at the tree?
There are bathrooms in the camp areas. No showers. No running water. Camping is completely free.

DJBiker said:
Is this a Men, Men, Men, Men kinda thing, or are the wives/GF's allowed, and is there suitable riding for "girlie men" and girls alike?
No suitable rides for inexperienced riders, sorry. In fact I must emphasize that inexperienced riders will most likely not have a good time on this ride. This is perhaps the most challenging, remote, epic riding in the state (with the exception of Goat Camp in the White Mountains).

We've never had any luck trying to get a wives-and-girlfriends hike together up there. Just doesn't seem to work out.

DJBiker said:
What is the drive like for central Phoenix, time-wise and road-wise, easy to find, help me I'm lost and it's real dark out here or what?
The drive from central Phoenix takes less than 2 hours. The way can be sorta-kinda hard to find if you don't remember to keep your eyes open for the Globe Ranger Station signs. Just follow the signs.

If you're camping, well, just drive to the tippy-top of the mountain. Follow the brown signs that say "Pinal Mountain Recreation Area".

DJBiker said:
Armor: knee and elbow or full-chest protection?
That's up to you. I wear arms and legs, others wear nothing at all, others still wear full-face and torso protection.

At the speeds we tend to go, I don't like imagining what would happen with a bad spill. The remoteness of the mountain and the trails is another serious factor. We have never had to medevac anyone off the mountain, but I think you'd be at least 4-6 hours away from any hospital.

DJBiker said:
Weather: freezing our #@$%#@^& off up top at night and frying our brians at the bottom? A guess at the nighttime and daytime temps?
Freeze your ass off at the top and fry your brains out at the bottom. Yes. It sounds like you've done this ride before!

Seriously, yeah, it's like that. There is generally a 20 degree difference from the top of the mountain to the bottom. It's more than 4000' lower. You'll go from alpine to pinyon to desert in just a couple hours.

In late April, I'd expect the top to still be getting down to the 40s or lower at night. Daytime temps at the bottom may break 90.

DJBiker said:
Cost to camp, shuttle and "other supplys?"
Try to hook up the drivers with a little gas money. $5 for the day isn't out the question. There's no set rate. Bring whatever supplies you'd like. Please share if you've brought liquid refreshments. I'd recommend Gatorade or similar, kept in a cooler in someone's vehicle at the bottom, if you're doing more than one run in the day.

Each run takes no less than 2 hours and may take 3+ or more if there are mechanicals and such. You're responsible for eating and drinking appropriately.

DJBiker said:
Sorry, lots of Q's for someone that's never been.
No worries. Glad you asked, and I hope I've answered everything.

p.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Ah, sh!t balls. Wife and one kid are going to Cal that weekend and I am in charge of safeguarding the other kid here. We plan on having a great time without the other girls, but unfortunately Globe is not in our plans. Damn. Any other weekend and I would be all over this.

Paul, perhaps it is destiny that we only meet once.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
I'll try to make it, see if there are any scorpions living in my tent gear, and if my schedule will permit me to undertake such a mission.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Trail Conditions Report

A bunch of us rode Pinal yesterday. The trails are in surprisingly good shape after the tough winter.

Six shooter had some deadfall at the top. We cleared it all out so the trail is 100% rideable from top to bottom now.

Icehouse still has a fair amount of deadfall. With a little help this trail could be cleared out easily.

Check Dan has more erosion than last year in the drops section, it's still rideable and fun as hell. There is a still a little bit of water in the section where you ride along the wash.

These are the only trails we rode.

I can't wait for next weekend. Hopefully the wounds me and my bike acquired yesterday will be healed by then.

·
Registered
171 Posts
No info for Kellner or Squaw Spring, didn't have enough time to ride them.

I'd also like to check out East Mt sometime. Probably won't be next weekend for me. The only bike I have running right now is my DH pig, and from the looks of it East Mt has alot of climbing.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cbcbike said:
No info for Kellner or Squaw Spring, didn't have enough time to ride them.

I'd also like to check out East Mt sometime. Probably won't be next weekend for me. The only bike I have running right now is my DH pig, and from the looks of it East Mt has alot of climbing.
Usually enough people show up for 2-3 separate groups to be doing their thing. Which is good, because having a traffic jam on those trails sucks.

Mad props for clearing the brush @ the top of Six Shooter. I've only ever seen the trail completely cleared once in my life. Ice House will need a lot of love someday, but the USFS has given a thumbs-up to anyone who'd like to do some trail work at some point. Hint hint.

p.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
I'm a definite maybe....
Anyone have pics of some of these trails? I searched the archives but couldn't find much other than snakes and dogs.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YuriB said:
I'm a definite maybe....
Anyone have pics of some of these trails? I searched the archives but couldn't find much other than snakes and dogs.
But of course...

Attachments

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
Would this ride be along the same skill level as Holbert Trail? Or comparable to any of the Somo trails? I'm evaluating my skill level- whether this would be fun for me or just painful. Sounds fun, i've always wanted to ride globe. Anyone ever ride Mt Graham in Safford?

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
No more difficult than National.

rkonindustry said:
Would this ride be along the same skill level as Holbert Trail? Or comparable to any of the Somo trails? I'm evaluating my skill level- whether this would be fun for me or just painful. Sounds fun, i've always wanted to ride globe. Anyone ever ride Mt Graham in Safford?
But it is different, trees and some exposure. Loads of fun with the omnipresence of pain and injury associated with MTB'ing, depending on how far you push your individual envelope.

Mt. Graham has/had geat trails but I have not been up there since the fire.

·
Registered
691 Posts
YuriB said:
I'm a definite maybe....
Nice to see you really pin yourself down Yuri...got issues with commitment?

It's great riding up there. I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah, I agree with SunDog, it is very different from SoMo because much of it is forested and the soft forest floor, crumbling under your front wheel stuff that will send you sliding off the trail if you get three inches too far to the downhill side.

That said, IMO if you had fun on Holbert and could handle it without getting too torn up, there will be very little you can't ride comfortably on Pinal Mountain.

John W.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
papajohn said:
That said, IMO if you had fun on Holbert and could handle it without getting too torn up, there will be very little you can't ride comfortably on Pinal Mountain.
Great! I'm in. Just cleared my work schedule and a babysitter for friday night. I've got 1 friend from Safford coming for sure and another from the valley with a maybe.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.