Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to drive to Eugene from Bend and brought my bike along for a quick spin. The trail looked clear from Trailbridge down to the ranger station, with some snow above Trailbridge. I only had time go from Belknap to past a small bridge up the road (I had to get back to Bend), but the trail was firm but moist with a few semi-mud patches.

It was my first time on the MRT and wow! what a contrast to Bend. I really can't wait to get back when it is a bit drier....which brings me to my next question...

What is the best tire for the MRT and other trails like it? UST preferable but not necessary.

I am currently running a Weirwolf 2.4 in front and a Geax Sturdy UST in back. I'm a 225 clyde and have found this set-up to work well for Bachelor to Bend shuttle rides and Phil's stuff, albeit rather heavy when having to rotate them against gravity. The Conti Vert Pro's that came on the bike got too many pinch flats, even though they were lighter.

What about the Hutchinson Spider 2.1 UST? It's cheap ($20/per at Nashbar), lighter, and is supposed to ride hardpack and soil conditions well.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've never had a problem with traction on MRT, I think you can use about anything. Most of the trail is pretty smooth hard pack. There are some rough, rocky patches higher up, I'd stick with something pretty rugged if you'll be doing that area.

·
Gittyup!
528 Posts
The 'ol IRC Mythos stand-by's have worked well for me. Actually, I have a 2.4 Weirwolf up front these days and don't notice a heck of a lot of difference in traction. They do seem to roll a bit slower however. As long as the knobbies are somewhat fresh, you pretty much can't go wrong w/ just about any tire on the MRT (as long as it isn't a semi-slick... which on the lower half, I bet you could even get away with).

Tappoix said:
I had to drive to Eugene from Bend and brought my bike along for a quick spin. The trail looked clear from Trailbridge down to the ranger station, with some snow above Trailbridge. I only had time go from Belknap to past a small bridge up the road (I had to get back to Bend), but the trail was firm but moist with a few semi-mud patches.

It was my first time on the MRT and wow! what a contrast to Bend. I really can't wait to get back when it is a bit drier....which brings me to my next question...

What is the best tire for the MRT and other trails like it? UST preferable but not necessary.

I am currently running a Weirwolf 2.4 in front and a Geax Sturdy UST in back. I'm a 225 clyde and have found this set-up to work well for Bachelor to Bend shuttle rides and Phil's stuff, albeit rather heavy when having to rotate them against gravity. The Conti Vert Pro's that came on the bike got too many pinch flats, even though they were lighter.

What about the Hutchinson Spider 2.1 UST? It's cheap ($20/per at Nashbar), lighter, and is supposed to ride hardpack and soil conditions well.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
You can't miss with a Mythos...

If you can find the Mythos with the red walls in a 2.3 you'd be stoked. All I can find nowadays are the black walled OE models, which I think have either a different compound or less TPI. Whatever it is, they're not quite the same. BUT, you can get them for less than 20 bucks as a front and rear matched set, so it's almost worth it, if you go through a couple sets a year anyway. The best front and rear specific tire set EVER!

I've since switched to Specialized Roll X Pro's or S-works for the westside riding. The rear climbs like nobody's chicken and the front just hooks it up on the MRT dirt. They're super fast and grippy. Not as good for our conditions out here in Bend, then I run a Weirwolf up front, which is pretty slow but great for holding it together when you come in a little fast and the front end starts blowing out in the sand.

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
mattsavage said:
I've since switched to Specialized Roll X Pro's or S-works for the westside riding. The rear climbs like nobody's chicken and the front just hooks it up on the MRT dirt. They're super fast and grippy.
I ride mostly in the Willamette Valley and I'm interested in the Roll X Pro; sounds like they do ok in mud? They look like they might be prone to shed poorly, but maybe not...

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
I don't know...

Barkdog said:
I ride mostly in the Willamette Valley and I'm interested in the Roll X Pro; sounds like they do ok in mud? They look like they might be prone to shed poorly, but maybe not...
I haven't ridden it in too much mud. I rode the Mythos for years when I lived in Portland and Seattle. I've ridden the Roll X at Gales Creek a bunch, it was wet, but not muddy. And Larch Mtn. a bunch, but it was either dry or frozen. So, I couldn't really say.

If you get them, get the Pro. They're almost as light as the S-works, but last ALOT longer.

I forgot, the old Team Control/Team Master is a great set of tires too. You can get those for cheap off of the Specialized site. And they come in UST.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are you looking for UST? I am LOVING the Mutanoraptor 2.4's on the Spot, and am also running a 2.24 version on the front of the SS. Pretty light, roll well, and seem to do awesome around here.

The MRT is super cool. When we were there about a month ago, we didn't want to take the time to do the whole shuttle bit so we did an out-and-back from near the Deer Creek HS area. I would definately do that again! The climbing up through the rocky sections near blue pool was as much or more fun than going down!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just about anything will work for MRT, I like a fatter tire to keep the pinch-flats away on the rocky upper section. Traction is never a problem. I never run less than a 2.1 anyways so I don't put on special tires for MRT.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Weirwolf on MRT

I did the MRT at the end of February. There was snow from the lake to the first falls, clear and dry for awhile, then rain and rivers of water afterwards. I had new 2.1 UST Weirwolf shoes on and was significantly impressed.

I needed the low psi grip for the snow (yes, a wider tire would have been better), but it also has rugged deep treads for the lava section, which may have prevented slicing, but also helped on the quick, rocky climbs. They shed mud and water what I would consider to be well to very well after that. The last fast sections were just so much fun I don't know how the tire performs other than if I didn't even think about it, it must have been great.

Hope that helps. The MRT is my all-time favorite now. I hope to go back in the "dry" season!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh, and I am 220lbs and own a pair of 2.1 UST Spider's too. Nice tire and much faster and wider, despite the 2.1 size, but the ruggedness of the Weirwolf in my opinion would better on the MRT. The last thing one wants on that trail is wheel problems.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
akjhome said:
I did the MRT at the end of February. There was snow from the lake to the first falls, clear and dry for awhile, then rain and rivers of water afterwards. I had new 2.1 UST Weirwolf shoes on and was significantly impressed.

I needed the low psi grip for the snow (yes, a wider tire would have been better), but it also has rugged deep treads for the lava section, which may have prevented slicing, but also helped on the quick, rocky climbs. They shed mud and water what I would consider to be well to very well after that. The last fast sections were just so much fun I don't know how the tire performs other than if I didn't even think about it, it must have been great.

Hope that helps. The MRT is my all-time favorite now. I hope to go back in the "dry" season!
The top part you rode (and a bit lower) have the most lava and are the roughest. Basically gets smoother the farther downstream you go.

We have had much more snow since you were there, too.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Brandon said:
Just about anything will work for MRT, I like a fatter tire to keep the pinch-flats away on the rocky upper section. Traction is never a problem. I never run less than a 2.1 anyways so I don't put on special tires for MRT.
Agreed. Though if I had WeirWolfs on I would swap 'em for something else. The WW tends it "walk" on hard surfaces in the corners.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kenda works well

Tappoix said:

I've run Panaracer Fire 2.1's and Kenda Blue Groove 2.25 (front) and Nevegal 2.1 (rear). I like the BG for the lave, it is soft against the hard rock and grips very well. No flats or tears with either tires.

I miss MRT, it's been a long winter...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Tough up high.

I can vouch for the upper section being rocky. I did MRT for the first time last fall (late Oct.), and can't wait to go back. The upper section from the west end of Cold Lake down to Trailbridge is steep and littered with black volcanic rocks and boulders (like stair cases in spots). I was happy with my Fire XC 2.1 in back, and a 2.25 TyranoRaptor in the front. (the group I was with is fond of the Fire XC's, and nobody went down or flatted even with a lot of soggy leaves on the trail, and steady rain to blur vision).
Lower half is fast rolling hard packed dirt with frequent roots to keep you alert.
Now I just have to figure out when/how to get back up there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.