Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to convert my 2011 Kona NuNU from a 3X9 to a 1X9.

What chainring and cassette recommendations would you suggest?
Are there additional component changes needed to make this work?

I mainly ride mountain rails.

·
遅すぎ
431 Posts
Well the cheapest thing to do would be to just remove the smallest and largest front chain rings and use the middle chain ring for a while (presumably a 32T) with whatever cassette you have (probably a 34T in the back). You will probably lose your chain with this set up multiple times though as you don't have anything to act as a chain guide. You could just leave your front derailleur on without a shifter connected to act as a chain guide, buy a dedicated chain guide (it's lighter, I have a BB mounted one), or use a bashguard and a chain stop device mounted to the frame or BB. If you find yourself hike-a-biking, then you can either get a cassette with a larger ring in the back or a smaller ring in the front. I would get a new narrow-wide chain ring in the front regardless. Depending on what crank you have, you are probably limited in going down to a 30T. Assuming you are asking about this conversion because you'd rather not spend the money on a new derailleur, you won't have a clutch and could still drop the chain, but it will be rare with a narrow wide ring, a 10/11 speed chain, and a chain retention device.

Or you could just get a used 1x10 system someone is dumping because they moved to 1x11 or 1x12. Look in the classifieds here, on PB, or CL. That's probably what I would do in your situation.

·
GONE
27,022 Posts
I too want to switch a 3X9 to a 1X9. I see that there are wide range 9 speed cassettes being offered nowadays. I'd like to try an 11-42, 11-44, or maybe an 11-50 9 speed cassette. Is it possible to make a 9 speed long cage RD (Shimano) work on those lower gears?

If not a 9 speed, how about getting a Shimano 10 speed RD to shift up onto a 44-50 tooth? Wolftooth Goatlink says 42 tooth max.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am currently riding trails with a 42/34/24 chainring 11-34 (9 spd) configuration.
Is there a setup that would get me to my current 34T ring high and 24T ring low in a 1X 9 or 10?

Also what components would I need to reduce or eliminate chain dumping in a 1X conversion?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I too want to switch a 3X9 to a 1X9. I see that there are wide range 9 speed cassettes being offered nowadays. I'd like to try an 11-42, 11-44, or maybe an 11-50 9 speed cassette. Is it possible to make a 9 speed long cage RD (Shimano) work on those lower gears?

If not a 9 speed, how about getting a Shimano 10 speed RD to shift up onto a 44-50 tooth? Wolftooth Goatlink says 42 tooth max.
Why not go for the Microshift advent?
It's wide range 9 speed derailleur/group.

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts
I just put on a 34t narrow-wide chainring, so far just a small test on pavement so I don't know if it's really going to handle downhill obstacles by itself without a clutch derailleur.

Russ, I think I know what you mean but you are asking what 1x will cover 24t and 34t up front, that's not easy to answer. You may or may not like what I'm doing: keep the small chainring (in my case 22t) remove the front derailleur, if you are at the bottom of a steep hill you just manually switch the chain from the big chainring to the small one, it's not a big deal at all, takes like 5 seconds. Otherwise, you can try the Bolany/ZTTO 11-50t 9-speed cassette and maybe do 30t up front, not a great top end but many on here have 30t 1x.

Two main ways to eliminate chain drop, as mentioned above: clutch derailleur and narrow-wide chainring. The reason I went with narrow-wide is because it was $18 instead of $125 for the Microshift 'groupset', and I absolutely cannot stand that screeching sound from the clutch derailleur when someone is coasting, horrible. Enough to make the nearby coyotes yelp in agony.

·
slow
7,745 Posts
The amount of derailleur travel per shifter click is different on a Shimano 9 speed derailleur than on a Shimano 10 speed derailleur, so this will not work. However, it is rumored that you can use a Shimano 11 speed clutch derailleur with SRAM 9 speed shifters.

·
GONE
27,022 Posts
The amount of derailleur travel per shifter click is different on a Shimano 9 speed derailleur than on a Shimano 10 speed derailleur, so this will not work. However, it is rumored that you can use a Shimano 11 speed clutch derailleur with SRAM 9 speed shifters.
Thanks for your reply.

Shimano 10 speed shadow RDs spec 42 tooth max. Is that true or can they jump up onto something lower, like a 46 tooth?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Here is the 1 x 9 setup I ran for almost 2 Years;

Shimano XTR M970 104 BDC Crankset with 32 tooth Absolute Black Oval Chainring

Shimano XTR M970 11-34 Cassette, added a 10 speed e13 shimano) cog, removed the 11 tooth and used an Absolute Black 13 tooth lock ring, 13-40 tooth cassette, you can remove the 15 tooth if you need the 11 tooth. But with the 32 oval I was OK with the 32 x 13 as a top gear.

Shimano XTR M 970 Rear Derailleur with wolf tooth Long B screw

KMC SL 10 speed Chain

It Shifted pretty well onto the 40 Tooth cog albeit you had to back off on the pedals for a smooth shift

·
Registered
189 Posts
I can confirm that a 10 speed Shimano clutch derailleur will work with a 9 speed SRAM shifter but you need a 6mm spacer where the cable attaches to the derailleur to get the pull ratio correct. I've done this for years and it works great. That said, a Shimano 11-speed clutch derailleur has a close enough pull ratio to a SRAM 9 speed shifter to work without the need for a spacer. My spare bike is configured this way now with an 11-40 cassette, 10 speed chain, and narrow-wide chainring. Works great. The 11 speed derailleur should also allow you to safely use up to a 46T cassette though I've not personally tried.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.