Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a Trek Marlin 6 and amlooking to convert my 3x8 to a 1x8 due to the fact of me not using the other two chainrings and for simplicity due to the fact that i've had some chainsuck issues and just recently bent the chain and the center chainring. Is it worth fixing or buying a new crankset for the bike, or going to a 1x? If so the chainring i currently use is 34 teeth, the three being 42/34/24. I've looked into some raceface cranksets because the current crankset i have has riveted chainrings and i don't think the crank arm can be removed from the chainrings. I've looked into cranks and chainrings such as these:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Race-Face-Aeffect-Cinch-Cranks-4

https://www.jensonusa.com/Race-Face-Cinch-Direct-Mount-Chainring

As I said, my current middle ring is 34 teeth, so would it be better to get a 34 tooth ring or go up to 36 or down to 32 or 30? Also are the cranks compatible with my bike? Thanks!

·
Registered
17,220 Posts
That will work but it's not compatible with your bb so you'll need a new one. There are cheaper options that are pretty good, Deore cranksets often come with bb's and a triple will work with shorter bolts.

What gear is best is individual, 30 or 32t works well for many.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would not mess with the riveted chainrings but that's just me. If you purchase the crankset and chainring you linked you will also need a BSA bottom bracket for a 24mm spindle. Only you can determine whether or not 1x is adequate for your riding and what size chainring you should get. You probably just need to spend some time thinking about what you like/dislike about the 34 tooth chainring you primarily use. The good news is it looks like the Race Face crankset comes with a removable spider so you can run multiple chainrings if you want. I would confirm with Jenson before you purchase though. For what it's worth my bike came with that crankset (1x) and I've been riding it for two years without issue.

·
Registered
17,220 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
On your gear ratio question, the answer may lie with which ring are you more likely to shift into, the bigger or smaller? If bigger, that might mean you could stand a 36, if smaller, 32.

Put more simply, do you think you would prefer to have your used gears "shifted" a little higher or a little lower? Because that's what you will do by changing the size of the chainring.

You can divide your "current' chainring size/teeth by the teeth in your smallest, largest, and most-used rear cogs and get an idea of the range of gearing you use and see what a 36 or 32 tooth ring would give you.

As for your bottom bracket, measure the diameter and the width of the shell (frame part). You can get a bottom bracket bearing for most cranks you want to use.

·
Registered
186 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.