Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I currently have a trek Marlin 5 (29er) which has a 3x7 drivetrain which is pretty worn out and am looking to upgrade to a 2x9. The problem is the current rear wheel has a freewheel ‘hub’ which only supports 7 speed maximum freewheel cassettes. I’m just wondering what my best option would be to do regarding the rear wheel, should I get a whole new wheel or just replace the hub or what should I do. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
What's you budget? What do you currently have for wheels?

Replacing the hub might run you as much as a whole new wheel (or even a complete wheel set) once you add up a new hub, spokes, labor to lace it all up (unless you do it yourself), etc.

The easiest thing to do... buy a new wheel with the hub you need.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
New wheel with HG style freehub, I would make it a 10 speed with 11-42t wide range, might be enough for your needs. And with a clutch derailleur if you're taking it off-road

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's you budget? What do you currently have for wheels?

Replacing the hub might run you as much as a whole new wheel (or even a complete wheel set) once you add up a new hub, spokes, labor to lace it all up (unless you do it yourself), etc.

The easiest thing to do... buy a new wheel with the hub you need.
Currently have the stock "Bontrager" 29er rims that came on the bike, heard they're pretty cheap, but they've worked fine for me, so I'd look for something of similar quality just with the freehub though. Are there any brands or specific rims you'd recommended, would prefer to spend the least without compromising durability too much

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The Bontrager wheels can be quite good especially if you can get the ones with asymethical rims. Check with the LBS and see what they want to get rid of. BTW here is an explanations of the freehubs available today -

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
As others have said, not smart to just go to 9spd, when you can go to 10spd and get a clutch and also find parts easier. As to wheels, I'm a fan of Hope hubs and you can normally find them on sale online, especially if your bike has the older 135/142 rear spacing. What's your budget and what's your rear spacing?

Oh and yeah, just buy a new, complete wheel.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/wheels/mtb-wheels?f=2258,4294957821&sort=pricelow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.