Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Klein Carbon Mantra frame (never assembled new). Looking for a 3x10 drive line. front derailleur is, "E" type with bottom bracket plate mount.
Would prefer a, 110 inch top gear. The front E type derailleurs (or that I find on various sites) now available, have a 42 tooth capacity. Is there some type of adapter or hack to allow 44 tooth front ring? Or, using a 10 speed cassette, a 10 tooth sprocket? Thank you for the time and information. Steve V. Mantra in Arizona (seriously the Mantra Carbon is still in the bubble wrap).

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don’t think there is, but you can allways try with a 44 ring, if it doesn’t fit you can allways go back to 42. Why would you like to have 110 on a mtb?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'd try the 44 first w/o any mods and see if it works. Am running a 3x10 trip too on my RM. You may be able to just do a circular carving of the outer cage if all else fails and there is enough room on it to cut apart.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,613 Posts
Live close enough for most rides, using surface streets. Nice downhill gearing for ride home. Steve V. Arizona
You don't need a 44t chainring.

You might use it for what proportion of your time out on a ride? Don't worry about it. There aren't many 3x10 options on the market (go above 11spd and there are none) so just use what's available and easy and just deal with using a slightly lower gear on the pavement back home.

You also can't get a 10t cog on a cassette until you go to 11spd, and with that, not with shimano (until 12spd). which also means a different freehub body and a sram cassette or e.13 cassette or something similar.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,758 Posts
You don't need a 44t chainring.

You might use it for what proportion of your time out on a ride? Don't worry about it. There aren't many 3x10 options on the market (go above 11spd and there are none) so just use what's available and easy and just deal with using a slightly lower gear on the pavement back home.
LOL, ok.

Who cares if he "needs" a 44? He's asking if it's possible.
Some people actually use "big" ratios.

Nobody "needs" anything like 10-42 cassette either but people on here seem to think they would die if they didn't have super low gearing to go as slow as possible.

OP: If you have a 44T give it a try. Shimano is usually conservative in their estimates of derailleur capabilities.
Also if you can get a hold of an M950 series e-type that was designed when XTR still ran 48T or 46T big rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.