1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frame #1: 2003 ETSX-30
Frame #2: 2005 ETSX-Team
Frame #3: 2007 ETSX-70

All frames have experienced a similar mode of failure... cracks of the seat tube around the rear suspension mounts, although the 2005 team developed a crack on the lower mount rather than the seat tube.

Most recent frame failure is the most severe in that the seat tube cracked around the complete circumference of the seat tube right under the welds of the lower suspension mount.

So far Rocky has taken very good care of me from a warranty point of view, but this is rediculous. I love the ride qualities of the ETSX, but with these repeated frame failures I'm seriously considering if I need to be riding a different frame. Anyone who knows the way I ride would never call me an abusive rider, I'm definitely not into getting air or doing drops... mostly just typical XC all mountain type riding. Weight wise I'm about 190-200lbs at riding weight so I dont' think this should be a factor.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if the Scandium version of the ETSX would hold up better since I never saw the seat tube cracked on those models. Or should I ask about an upgrade to a Slayer frame?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I'm about the same weight on a 07 Scandium frame ETSX Team and so far no problem (touch wood). Mind you I also had a 2004 ETSX that didn't break either, I actually sold it in one piece. :eekster: The triangle on the Team isn't wildly lighter (10%-ish) but the scandium should be a tougher. There's so many welds in a small area on the seat tube that the extra durability sure couldn't hurt.

I also have a Slayer SXC and although the ride is quite good for a 6x6 bike it doesn't ride the same as the ETSX. Maybe you can get one of the new Altitude frames, they should ride just like an ETSX judging by the results I saw in Linkage2.

·
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rockyuphill said:
I'm about the same weight on a 07 Scandium frame ETSX Team and so far no problem (touch wood). Mind you I also had a 2004 ETSX that didn't break either, I actually sold it in one piece. :eekster: The triangle on the Team isn't wildly lighter (10%-ish) but the scandium should be a tougher. There's so many welds in a small area on the seat tube that the extra durability sure couldn't hurt.

I also have a Slayer SXC and although the ride is quite good for a 6x6 bike it doesn't ride the same as the ETSX. Maybe you can get one of the new Altitude frames, they should ride just like an ETSX judging by the results I saw in Linkage2.
Thanks for your thoughts, rockyuphill. :thumbsup:

I really would not want to give up the amazing climbing ability of the ETSX design, so I'll ask Rocky if a Scandium frame replacement is possible. I see they no longer offer the Team version for 2008, but hopefully they kept some Scandium frames around for warranty replacement purposes.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
This IS why they're replacing it with the new Altitude afterall....

·
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DeeEight said:
This IS why they're replacing it with the new Altitude afterall....
Too bad the new Altitude is so fugly. Obviously riding it will tell the real story, but it sure doesn't look like a worthy successor to the ETSX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
etsx broken

first post ever...

Just discovered broken 06 etsx-50, put a wrinkle in the down tube, no evidence of cracked top tube or weld, would likely crack if ridden.

I have heard of many issues and have requested warranty w/ sxc 50. I would build this up more xc than am. I too enjoy the etsx for it's riding attributes and have begun to race it recreationally, but can't deal w/ down time and headache from broken frames. Any feedback on whether the sxc will do what the etsx did? How much different is the climbing ability if built up light?

·
Registered
2 Posts
kwarwick
It sounds like you are not really abusing your frames...but could your suspension setup be subjecting the frame to excess bottoming loads at the rear shock?
I weigh roughly the same as you...my '03 ETSX lasted almost 5 years before cracking (I now have a new '08 frame)
On the '08, I'm running about 150-160psi in the shock and always run the bike in the 4.5" setting. I have a 130mm Float fork, at 95psi.
What pressures are you running on your bike?

·
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2wheels888 said:
kwarwick
It sounds like you are not really abusing your frames...but could your suspension setup be subjecting the frame to excess bottoming loads at the rear shock?
I weigh roughly the same as you...my '03 ETSX lasted almost 5 years before cracking (I now have a new '08 frame)
On the '08, I'm running about 150-160psi in the shock and always run the bike in the 4.5" setting. I have a 130mm Float fork, at 95psi.
What pressures are you running on your bike?
I don't think rear shock pressure is a factor in my case. I typically run 190lbs in the 5" setting. The shock doesn't bottom out as far as I know, although I do use a good percentage of the travel.

·
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JoeDesperado said:
exactly.
go with the SXC, it will definitely last longer ;)
I have been offered a Slayer SXC 70, but I'm not sure about moving to a bigger travel bike that likely doesn't have the ride qualities I've grown to love with the ETSX. There's also the issue of having to buy a new seatpost, front derailleur and perhaps a new front fork. I currently have a 2007 Talas 32 RLC which ranges in travel from 100-140mm. It looks the the Slayers are typically setup with a 100-160mm fork, so I'm wondering how having 20mm less travel will affect the geometry?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I'm running a DT Swiss EXC150 fork on my SXC and it has a 20mm shorter A2C height than the Fox 36 or Marz 160mm forks (545mm), and the bike handles quite nicely. The 140mm Fox is only 510mm A2C, so that's a bit shorter yet.

If the rear shock on the Slayer was switched to a 7.875" x 2" RP23 instead of the 2.25" stroke DHX it would be more like a 5.5" travel frame that weighed 200gms less because of the lighter shock.

·
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rockyuphill said:
I'm running a DT Swiss EXC150 fork on my SXC and it has a 20mm shorter A2C height than the Fox 36 or Marz 160mm forks (545mm), and the bike handles quite nicely. The 140mm Fox is only 510mm A2C, so that's a bit shorter yet.

If the rear shock on the Slayer was switched to a 7.875" x 2" RP23 instead of the 2.25" stroke DHX it would be more like a 5.5" travel frame that weighed 200gms less because of the lighter shock.
Well after some back and forth with Rocky, I'm going to go with a ETSX Team (Scandium) frame replacement. Hopefully the extra strength of the Scandium tubes will be the final solution to these failures. If not... well I guess it will be a Altitude frame the next time around.

As always Rocky Warranty department has been very responsive and more than willing to do what it takes to make the customer happy, definitely no complaints in that regard.:)

·
"scared shitless"
264 Posts
hmm...I don't believe that the solution of the construction problem is to just make the frame (or the tubing) stronger. so maybe the scandium frame will last one year longer, but is it worth the hassle?
I had the same problem when my ETS-X broke last fall - but I sold my fork (2008 talas) and the wheels (crossmax ST) and got a 'cheap' new fork (66 SL ATA) and wheels (crossmax SX) for the SXC without having spent more than 300 euro. that's all you need!

·
Registered
29 Posts
JoeDesperado said:
hmm...I don't believe that the solution of the construction problem is to just make the frame (or the tubing) stronger. so maybe the scandium frame will last one year longer, but is it worth the hassle?
I had the same problem when my ETS-X broke last fall - but I sold my fork (2008 talas) and the wheels (crossmax ST) and got a 'cheap' new fork (66 SL ATA) and wheels (crossmax SX) for the SXC without having spent more than 300 euro. that's all you need!
I do agree with you !
I broke my 2005 scandium frame, I don't think it will fix a construction problem . I broke 2 EtsX frames, and asked for a Sxc. Sure, I've lost the climbing abilities of the EtsX, but there's nothing like a peaceful ride ! And believe me; the Sxc is a rocket when it comes to go down :D

·
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dave73 said:
I do agree with you !
I broke my 2005 scandium frame, I don't think it will fix a construction problem . I broke 2 EtsX frames, and asked for a Sxc. Sure, I've lost the climbing abilities of the EtsX, but there's nothing like a peaceful ride ! And believe me; the Sxc is a rocket when it comes to go down :D
Can you give me a little more detail on the 2005 scandium frame as to where exactly it broke? I know they had a problem with the lower pivot mount developing cracks. They redesigned the pivot mount after 2005 so I'm thinking if that's fixed along with the stronger scandium tubing then perhaps the post 2005 scandium frames are holding up. My contact in Rocky's warranty department thought this was a good way to go, even after offering me a Slayer frame so we shall see.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.