Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
bro not pro
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What purpose does the 3rd conducter serve in Nite Rider's smart battery system ? Is it required for the "fuel gauge" ? Is it required for "smart charging" ?

2) Smart chargers ... how can you tell the difference between the primitive chargers that (a) charge for a set amount of time then revert to trickle versus (b) advanced chargers that measure battery voltage and then revert to trickle ?

·
Spanish biker
732 Posts
Hi, yourself has contested, the primitive chargers do not detect the "delta peak" (full charge) of batteries and is more slow to charge the batteries. The smart charger is faster than primitive and detect the delta peak moreover stop the charge when the batteries is full charger.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

·
bro not pro
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3=smart, 2=dumb ?

so my original question still stands ... do the 'advanced' smart chargers - the ones that detect peak voltage - do they require (3) three conductors (wires) ? Is that how you can tell the difference between a smart charger and a dumb charger ? Dumb chargers only have 2 wires ?

(forgive my poor electrical knowlege - I'm a dumb mechanical type)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
The 3rd wire is usually connected to a thermistor to monitor temperature. It is used in 2 ways:

Standard delta-t chargers in high-speed charging modes (<1h) requires a battery temp monitor to prevent over-heating.

Some manufacturers used a temperature monitor to detect full charge, not many use this method now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.