Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been messing with gearing (again). Redid my measurements after I noticed the chain seemed to sit to one side on the freewheel and chainring. My chainring is out by about 3mm. It's adjusted as far as I can, don't know if I should bother going for perfect. Never broken a chain or had any issues. That probably answers my question. But wondering what others' thoughts were. I've used 1/8 and 3/32 chains.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
I think the chainline on my fixed gear is even farther off than 3mm. I haven't actually measured it though. My fix (pun intended) was to use a 1/8" chain with 3/32" cog/chainring. That way, I can run the bike with the chain on the outermost edge of the ring, and on the innermost edge of the cog. So even though the ring and cog aren't aligned, the chain is mostly straight. I've yet to drop the chain or even skip it. You just gotta keep a good chain tension.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going for perfect means replacing the chainring for something smaller due to clearance issues and therefore replacing the freewheel to maintain the ratio. I don't have the money right now. Otherwise, yeah, I don't like to settle.

·
Forgiven
426 Posts
Going for perfect means replacing the chainring for something smaller due to clearance issues and therefore replacing the freewheel to maintain the ratio. I don't have the money right now. Otherwise, yeah, I don't like to settle.
No cash is legit in my book.. to run what ya can.. When a chainline is off things do wear out faster.. it's a bit of a catch 22. Sometimes spending a bit gets a guy more in the long run..

Roll what ya got.. you're good at 3mm.
:D

Dig your signature!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.