Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never ridden a 3C Compund on any maxxis XC tire. I mean, is it worth it though? Right now I'm using an Ardent 2.25 EXO/TR on the front and an Ardent Race 2.20 EXO/TR on the rear. I'm one of those people that don't really like the little more upgraded versions of themselves of I could say, I don't really know what 3C really does. Well we all can tell that it says "MaxxSpeed" so it'll obviously boost it's rolling speed. But, is that it? Am I missing something? I'm not really into upgrading stuff on my bike (plus I'm just 15 so I'm broke) but when I do need to change or upgrade something I want the best. Especially if it's gonna make my XC bike more efficient. Any thoughts? Let me know.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Dual compound means there is two different rubber compounds used, softer in the outer thread and side knobbies to get better traction, harder compound on the internal parts and center knobs to help knobs keep their shape under stress. With 3C you have three compounds, as the name states, which are used with similar idea.

Is 3C "worth it" compared to dual compound depends mainly on what kind of terrain you ride. If you ride mostly dry / dusty trails with not much of slick roots or similar, double compound is likely just fine. 3C will likely improve grip if you ride more on damp/wet conditions where there are smooth roots and rocks, there the slightly softer surface compound might provide better grip. As the 3C is generally softer than similar dual compound tire, it has more grip, but worse on rolling resistance and durability...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.