Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm Slow
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to get a trainer so I can pedal some on rainy days, trying to train a bit more. I have a 29er that has an awesome saddle and I got a BG Fit on it so it is setup perfect. I don't own a road bike as I only really do trails, the roads here are too scary for me. I have a 2x10 system with a 39t and a 11-36 cassette. I am wondering if this is enough gearing for a trainer?

I have a spare wheel that will have a slick tire on it. And I am looking at getting a Kurt road machine, or a cycleops fluid 2. Still not sure on which one, and I'm just wondering if I will even be able to get a hard workout in with my current gearing.

·
Registered
762 Posts

·
I'm Slow
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On a mountain bike you will tend to use smaller cogs on the cassette which wear faster. If you plan to use your mountain bike on the trainer a lot, you may want to use an inexpensive cassette.
I run a XX on the normal wheel. I have a trainer only wheel that will have pg1030 cassette and trainer tire on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.