Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm fairly sure there is a review of the Ibike on roadbikereview...

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
I don't think it would work for off road. From what I've read, it hates rough road surfaces.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Most all non-wattage metering devices that "extrapolate" seem to have a wildly varying margin for error. A PowerTap set-up can be got for 1/2 again more than $400, so it seems like that'd be the way to go... I note this after a LOT of soul-searching, and technical research, AND discussions with coaches and elite racers...

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I guess my dreams of a relatively cheap, flexible, power measuring device have been crushed.

For me, the perfect power meter would:
1. be interchangeable on all my bikes (and my wife's bikes) with a single unit
2. work with all bike components (campy, shimano, sram)
3. works on trainers and riding outside; i don't think this ibike computer would work on a trainer because of the wind issue
4. Not cost an arm and a leg (like a SRM crank, yikes!!).

I guess I will continue doing what I've been doing. Which is, for example, for a 3 minute speed endurance intervals:
1. Ride to your target heart rate range; I my case for these intervals would be 173-178 bpm.
2. Once a minute or so goes by and I'm in the range, look at my speed in mph.
3. Now that speed will be my "zero time" target for these intervals.
4. For each subsequent interval, adjust speed accordingly. Want to use the speed that gives most constant value through the interval time period, while staying in the heart rate target after one minute.

Works well on rollers. This is the "poor man" power meter.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
Poncharelli said:
Thanks for the responses. I guess my dreams of a relatively cheap, flexible, power measuring device have been crushed.

For me, the perfect power meter would:
1. be interchangeable on all my bikes (and my wife's bikes) with a single unit
2. work with all bike components (campy, shimano, sram)
3. works on trainers and riding outside; i don't think this ibike computer would work on a trainer because of the wind issue
4. Not cost an arm and a leg (like a SRM crank, yikes!!).
I was about to give you a hard time and say something like, "well, at least you aren't asking for much."

Then I remembered reading about this on cyclingnews.com a while back.
http://www.microsporttech.com/
http://teamhealthfx.com/blogs/dave_harris/archive/2006/10/09/1939.aspx

I don't think it's available yet.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info!! Damn, the old piezo-electric sensor in the shoe trick!! Why didn't I think of that!!

I once had an idea for rigging something to a quick-release skewer.

.....it's still 500 bucks. But you can use on multiple bikes and requires no calibration or mounting hardware.

This is now the best thing out there, if it's truely accurate.

Maybe they can get a insole thing going with superfeet....or with a shoe company: "Our shoes are microsporttech power meter ready".

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have one

And I like it a lot. It was not meant to be used on a mountain bike. This is a road bike training tool.

I also looked at the Power Tap and SRM but I couldn't afford any of those. At $400 you get an awesome way to evaluate your training if you spend time on the road bike as well. I am still setting it up and learning how to use it but I like what I see so far. It's not as accurate as the devices like PT and SRM but the results are consisent from what I have read. Their webiste has great info if you are interested.

I know that doesn't help the OP with his MTB power tool dreams but if you are looking for a power meter to use on the road that won't break the bank this is the only way to go.

HTH,

Sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.