Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have on my hand a pre-production sample of the new ultralight Carbon-Ti quick releases X-Lock Ti Special.
The MTB version has titanium levers and titanium double butted axles, the roadie version has the same Ti levers but ergal axles.
I've weighed the MTB version 39 grams on my scale...
The last sunday I've tested (only the rear) on my C'dale Taurine in an alpine marathon race full of uneven fast downhills: the quick release locks fine, no noises, no problems.
Test passed!
Now I'm waiting to try the new Carbon-Ti seat clamp (X-Clamp)...
Some photos...

Attachments

·
surfer w/out waves
613 Posts
I'm waiting for the hydrogen filled skewers...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snowdrifter said:
kcnc skewers are 44 grams, and probably half the price. Now, I do love the Carbon-Ti Seatclamp QR, but they're like $70 plus shipping, ouch..
Certainly Carbon-Ti can't be cheap like KCNC: these products have materials and manufacturing processes much more expensive (for example the lever and the cam are made of only one titanium piece CNC machined)... and are made in Italy. :D
No competition is possible for the price. :nono:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alt! PoP is a different product!!!

nino said:
old news but actully these are skewers by Parts of Passion /Switzerland!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=4409332&postcount=1
Nino, not properly an old news... need a clarification! :nono:

These are the new 39 grams Carbon-Ti X-Lock Titanium skewers! (Roadie version w/ ergal axles is 31grams!)
These are a different brand and a different product by PoP QR.
These are realized in Italy (near Brescia) by LLS company the owner of the brand Carbon-Ti.
These are made in several colours (silver, black, red, blue and gold) and are available aftermarket all the different "colour kits" for change quickly (and without great cost) the ergal parts.

Part of Passion is a Gerhard Dummert brand.
Gerhard Dummert has been a Carbon-Ti collaborator for a while, but he's not working with Carbon-Ti anymore.

So, Carbon-Ti and Part of Passion quick release are different products!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
kind of messed-up/wrong info

Monticone said:
Nino, not properly an old news... need a clarification! :nono:

These are the new 39 grams Carbon-Ti X-Lock Titanium skewers! (Roadie version w/ ergal axles is 31grams!)
These are a different brand and a different product by PoP QR.
These are realized in Italy (near Brescia) by LLS company the owner of the brand Carbon-Ti.
These are made in several colours (silver, black, red, blue and gold) and are available aftermarket all the different "colour kits" for change quickly (and without great cost) the ergal parts.

Part of Passion is a Gerhard Dummert brand.
Gerhard Dummert has been a Carbon-Ti collaborator for a while, but he's not working with Carbon-Ti anymore.

So, Carbon-Ti and Part of Passion quick release are different products!
you are right that these are made by LLS BUT Parts of Passions main man is Patrick Vögtli. Gerhard Dummert is the main man behind Carbon-Ti. Both share their office in Switzerland and do have some collaborations going on but the skewers are originally by Parts of Passion.

the info i posted back then was taken from a mail i got from Parts of passion direct...

at least that's my latest news and i have good contact to both those guys.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dummert is no loger behind Carbon-Ti

nino said:
you are right that these are made by LLS BUT Parts of Passions main man is Patrick Vögtli. Gerhard Dummert is the main man behind Carbon-Ti. Both share their office in Switzerland and do have some collaborations going on but the skewers are originally by Parts of Passion.

the info i posted back then was taken from a mail i got from Parts of passion direct...

at least that's my latest news and i have good contact to both those guys.
Ok...
I know directly by LLS that Gerhard Dummert had a cooperation with Carbon-Ti, but now something has changed, not due to Carbon-Ti will...

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
the REAL story about Carbon-Ti...

Monticone said:
Ok...
I know directly by LLS that Gerhard Dummert had a cooperation with Carbon-Ti, but now something has changed, not due to Carbon-Ti will...
ok - i just had a nice chat with Patrick Voegtli from Parts of Passion. We know each other for a couple of years now and i do good business with them as well.

so here's the real story:

Gerhard Dummert was 50% engaged at Parts of Passion and 50% at Carbon-Ti. He had his office in Switzerland together with Patrick Voegtli from POP. Carbon-Ti started doing hubs last years and this work needed a lot of manpower and time from Gerhard. So much more that he wasn't abe to work the 50% at POP anymore. that was when they sat together and discussed as POP wasn't willing to pay a 50% salary when Gerhard was working for the other company most of the time. So they asked if Carbon-Ti would raise the amount of payment...Nada. they didn't want to. hmmm-what to do?

in the meantime Patrick Voegtli was in the mix of looking for production for HIS OWN DESIGN skewers. Since they had a good collaboration up-to-date with LLS he sent them the drawings etc to ask for production cost etc....now within 2 weeks those guys copied his design!!! That's the skewers posted above as Carbon-Ti. so that's a stolen design!!!

Meanwhile Gerhard Dummert was fired by LLS and Patrick Vogtli quit the collaboration with Carbon-Ti as well. They tried to get an agreement but that seemed not possible with the italians. so they finally quit the collaboration,He said he wasn't that unhappy anyway as LLS lately had BIG problems in delivering ordered parts. He was waiting for Carbon-Ti skewers that got ordered back in september and never got them...

to sum it up:
the skewer is a SWISS DESIGN and simply got copied by the italian company LLS (Carbon-Ti)
you will still see those skewers by Parts of Passion soon. they are already DIN certified and i know that they have a much lighter design already in their pockets. i'll keep you updated.

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
Who cares about these shitty looking squewers anyway... F"n Ringle three hole variants rule over these anyday.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
... the REAL story FROM Carbon-Ti

I haven't reply before because I preferred call LLS/Carbon-Ti for know their REAL story.
Follow quoted what they have said me.
The text is translated from me, I'm sorry if there are errors it is my fault.

"Let's stop these unnecessary polemics that don't interest anyone and that could be only harmful for who is working hard with commitment and seriousness to do products technologically and qualitatively competitive.

The only thing we want to say is that our X-LOCK is nothing other that the evolution of our model, existing in the market since several years, obtained simply removing the ergal protection of the movement and upgrading some details.

Any other inference is only provocative and absolutely not sustainable by evidence.

The best response will be as always from the market and our affectionate customers and users.

P.S.
At the same time we want to say Gerhard, if he read this, that we have not nothing against him and that the door is always open."

Erika Aprile
Sales Manager
Carbon Ti by LLS

What I can say is that I use the Carbon-Ti X-Lock since some weeks (and you can see them every sunday on my race mountainbike) and that several distributors in all over the world have already received the first samples and between few weeks they will sell them.
I don't have seen yet the PoP quick release on a bike, only the same pieces on a scale or on a table...

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
I am going to stick with the KCNC skewers. Even the current Carbon Ti skewers are $130 while the KCNC are $72. I would imagine that the new ones will be more expensive and they are not currently available in the US. But they do look trick!

Thanks for the info on the prototypes.

Madcow aka Jason of Fairwheel did a great review on weight weenie skewers, refer to http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5029

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for that link Pastajet - not trying to hijack this thread (and yes ive had a bit of a search) - but generally is there one popular weight weenie skewer thats pretty much accepted as light enough/strong enough etc?

Cheers.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
well...

Monticone said:
I haven't reply before because I preferred call LLS/Carbon-Ti for know their REAL story.
Follow quoted what they have said me.
The text is translated from me, I'm sorry if there are errors it is my fault.

"Let's stop these unnecessary polemics that don't interest anyone and that could be only harmful for who is working hard with commitment and seriousness to do products technologically and qualitatively competitive.

The only thing we want to say is that our X-LOCK is nothing other that the evolution of our model, existing in the market since several years, obtained simply removing the ergal protection of the movement and upgrading some details.

Any other inference is only provocative and absolutely not sustainable by evidence.

The best response will be as always from the market and our affectionate customers and users.

P.S.
At the same time we want to say Gerhard, if he read this, that we have not nothing against him and that the door is always open."

Erika Aprile
Sales Manager
Carbon Ti by LLS

What I can say is that I use the Carbon-Ti X-Lock since some weeks (and you can see them every sunday on my race mountainbike) and that several distributors in all over the world have already received the first samples and between few weeks they will sell them.
I don't have seen yet the PoP quick release on a bike, only the same pieces on a scale or on a table...
i would also argue like this ;)

fact is that the design and 1st prototypes were made by Parts of Passion and that they contacted LLS for an eventual production....the rest is history!

anyway - i should get a skewer from Parts of Passion these days and will definitely show it in detail here.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...and 30.9 grams Carbon-Ti X-Lock Special Road version!

Since today also the road version of the Carbon-Ti X-Lock Special in my hands, indeed on my scale.
Monolithic titanium levers, ergal (Al7075) double butted axes, actual weight 30.9 grams.
Tomorrow on my Look 585. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
pastajet said:
I would imagine that the new ones will be more expensive and they are not currently available in the US. But they do look trick!
Yes they are. I carry just the road versions right now. Double the price of KCNC though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.