Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one put a 38t chain ring on an E-13 STS? I have been thinking of putting one on. It appears that you can fit it in there but I wonder if it will cause too much drag. OR if it will get caught up on the back pedal...... Right now I have a 36t on there and I can't seem to get enough high gear on the DH.

No need to warn me about the bash guard fitting. I have run a 38t on a 36 specified evil bash guard on another bike.

I'm trying to keep the chain guide up and out of the way, so I chose the STS over the SRS.....if you were wondering. I will also be changing out the rear cassette to 12-26 vs the 11-34 so I can get thru my gears faster. This will be on my DH race bike. Otherwise I would just live with having a 36t..... ya right. The last time that I lived with my bike "the way it is" was never. I have continuously been tweeking my bike thinking that I am getting a better up grade out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Hi bud, I ride using a 42 tooth chainring using an SRS,
Feels fine.
This is my first chain guide. There is bugger all drag, but I do find the chain slips when I'm pedalling over fast rough terrain.
Friggin sucks man. Don't know what that's caused from.
I've never raced but I bet your peddalling flat out all the time.
Maybe you can help me??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
Phalophalot said:
Hi bud, I ride using a 42 tooth chainring using an SRS,
Feels fine.
This is my first chain guide. There is bugger all drag, but I do find the chain slips when I'm pedalling over fast rough terrain.
Friggin sucks man. Don't know what that's caused from.
I've never raced but I bet your peddalling flat out all the time.
Maybe you can help me??
if ur running iscg adapter then it might be positioned wrong, u might need to rotate it forward or backward
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
urbanfreerider666 said:
if ur running iscg adapter then it might be positioned wrong, u might need to rotate it forward or backward
I am riding a Giant Faith. This is an 05 model i.e. newish bike and therefore I don't think it requires an adaptor. I had the bike shop install it so I'm not 100% sure. I'll check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
Phalophalot said:
I am riding a Giant Faith. This is an 05 model i.e. newish bike and therefore I don't think it requires an adaptor. I had the bike shop install it so I'm not 100% sure. I'll check it out.
just because it is a newer bike doesnt mean that it has the iscg adapter mounts, i have an 05 stp1 and it doesnt have the iscg mounts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
wyrm said:
Has any one put a 38t chain ring on an E-13 STS?...... Right now I have a 36t on there and I can't seem to get enough high gear on the DH.

I will also be changing out the rear cassette to 12-26 vs the 11-34 so I can get thru my gears faster. This will be on my DH race bike.
The simple answer is don't do it.

First off, regardless of whether the 38t chainring fits or not, with the change to a 12-26t casstte you will have a lower overall gear ratio. You will need to jump to a 40t to get a higher over all gear with a 12t cog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That doesn't make sense. If I still had a 36t and the 12-26 combo... all it would give me is a tighter gear ratio. With a 38t it would give a higher gear ratio. What I am looking for is the higher tighter gear ratio. I need more speed and I need it quicker. Check the number below.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
wyrm said:
That doesn't make sense. If I still had a 36t and the 12-26 combo... all it would give me is a tighter gear ratio. With a 38t it would give a higher gear ratio. What I am looking for is the higher tighter gear ratio. I need more speed and I need it quicker. Check the number below.
If you are only looking to get closer ratios between gears you will be fine. I interpreted your original post as you were only looking for a higher top gear ratio which this combo will not give you.
 

·
ICORR - FORC
Joined
·
269 Posts
I have an E-13 STS with a 36 tooth ring on my Planet X, just took a look at it and it's pretty tight, I don't think there's enough room for a 38. I'd trust the advertised "36 Tooth Max" spec.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top