Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bring on the night! 380 grams is less than a pound. 960 lumens is very bright. The Light and Motion ARC HID is 675 lumens btw. The Light and Motion Vega is 85 lumens.

This system is soo light, you can just keep it on your bike and helmet allt he time. It is veyyy cool. These are Exposure lights made by USE.

380 grams includes all the mounting hardware for helmet and bar light AND batteries. Oh yah, zero wires. I'm night riding tonight!!

some specs here: http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/exposure-lights-joystick-maxx-and-enduro-maxx/

Full review coming I think.

fc

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok here's some 5 minute photos. These are 2 second exposures on a Canon G9.

Note the brightness of my neighbor's front light. The look about that bright in real life.

The Joystick helmet light is fascinating. It's not much bigger than a finger but it is so bright. On the helmet, you can't feel it at all. And the mounts are rock solid.

1) Enduro bar light
2) Joystick helmet light
3) damm car
4) Enduro and Joystick pointed left
5) Enduro and Joystick pointed right

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I shoulda called earlier...

Francis

I would have gone on the nite ride with you if I would have planned it better! I got into San Jose about 6pm and killed time reading about riding at Barnes & Noble - dang...let me know when the shoot-out is.

Robert

P.S. Can you email me those pics you took at the gap? Thanks!

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pineapplebob said:
Francis

I would have gone on the nite ride with you if I would have planned it better! I got into San Jose about 6pm and killed time reading about riding at Barnes & Noble - dang...let me know when the shoot-out is.

Robert

P.S. Can you email me those pics you took at the gap? Thanks!
Photos are here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=351792

Also, there's a copy of the thread here. People think you're the famous Pineapple Bob the Bridgestone ad model:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=351878

Let me know if you need full-res photos.

fc

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Does this bike make me look fat???

Dude

Those 29'er wheels makes me look like a little kid riding an adult's bike! Too funny...thanks for the awesome ride and dinner once again!!!!:thumbsup:

I'll catch you when I get back through the 'hood.

Robert

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
BR Lights vs. Exposure Lights???

Hi FC,

Thanks for posting this review because I’m currently trying to decide which of the following two self contained bar/helmet light systems to buy. I’m a total “noobie” in this area and would appreciate any help you could provide. The two systems are BR Lights vs. Exposure Lights.

I’ll be using both a bar and helmet light because I want to use the lights for AM/DH style riding in Auburn, CA. Culvert/Confluence plus Rocky Pit in the OHV Park are some of the trails we plan to ride as well as standard XC rides like FHDL.

From last year I read your enthusiastic review of the BR Lights C2 bar mounted light. BR now has a 300 gram helmet mounted light to augment their 415 gram bar mounted light. However, I’ve read reviews where they suggest not using anything over 150 grams on your helmet due to the weight causing the helmet to move too much at speed.

Now you and James Sharp of GearReview.com gives kudos to the light weight of the Exposure Lights Joystick helmet mounted light at 105 grams with mounting hardware. You also speak highly of the Exposure Lights Enduro Turbo at 252 grams.

If you wouldn’t mind I’d appreciate you sharing your opinion as to which is the better system. Also if you’re going to do another “Lights Shootout” I’d appreciate knowing that as I’d put my purchase decision off until you publish.

Thanks, in advance, for sharing your thoughts!

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rensho said:
Wow, those are sooooo very nice. I'll take em!
Cool huh. I'll make the small one into a keychain so I can take it everywhere I go!!

It is so small but it puts out more light than that 8 battery 'pohlice' maglite.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MattP. said:
Wow! How;s the battery life on them little babies?
3 - 8 - 24. 3 hours on the high setting. 24 hours on the low setting.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mountain Medic said:
hey, did you go night riding yet? If not, I can go in about 1/2 hour...
I just rode around my block 5 times. I think I scared my neighbors since the pohlice came out to check me out.

fc

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
francois said:
Cool huh. I'll make the small one into a keychain so I can take it everywhere I go!!

It is so small but it puts out more light than that 8 battery 'pohlice' maglite.

fc
Do they get hot (ie can you hand hold them)?

Will they stay in place on a rigid setup?

Can it be mounted upside down?

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wish I Were Riding said:
Do they get hot (ie can you hand hold them)?

Will they stay in place on a rigid setup?

Can it be mounted upside down?
They don't get too hot. You can hand hold them for a few minutes. Like most lights, they're meant to be air-cooled by riding.

Rigid setup, yes they'll stay put.

Upside down, yes. That's a good point. That will protect this light in case of an endo. The mount is all aluminum and something will give if you crash with it.

fc

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
That's a sweet setup

I did my first 24 HOA last summer and decided to rent one of the systems there. What a mistake. My batteries ran out on the grind, and I still had an offcamber bumpy bit of singletrack (complete w/ a tree in the middle of the trail) to get to the finish. Since then, I've toyed w/ the idea of buying my own, but I don't think I'd ever ride w/ them enough to justify the price tag associated w/ them. Just curious though, what's the price tag for this kit? X-mas is coming...

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
francois said:
They don't get too hot. You can hand hold them for a few minutes. Like most lights, they're meant to be air-cooled by riding.

Rigid setup, yes they'll stay put.

Upside down, yes. That's a good point. That will protect this light in case of an endo. The mount is all aluminum and something will give if you crash with it.

fc
I like my bar light as low as possible more for the light angle than crash protection, although that is also a plus.

I'm very interested, and I'm looking forward to your review.

I like the Wilma, but I could get a Joystick and the Enduro Maxx for about the same price as one Wilma...

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gobike said:
I did my first 24 HOA last summer and decided to rent one of the systems there. What a mistake. My batteries ran out on the grind, and I still had an offcamber bumpy bit of singletrack (complete w/ a tree in the middle of the trail) to get to the finish. Since then, I've toyed w/ the idea of buying my own, but I don't think I'd ever ride w/ them enough to justify the price tag associated w/ them. Just curious though, what's the price tag for this kit? X-mas is coming...
Joystick MaXx Specs: 1 LED, 240 Lumens, 80 grams, $249.99

Enduro MaXx
Specs: 3 LEDS, 720 Lumens, 235 grams, $449.99

Race MaXx which has two LEDs and retails for $349.95.

Three Joysticks would be cool. Make two of them bar ends and then one on the helmet. Yeahhhhhh!

fc

1 - 20 of 122 Posts