Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my 10 mile flat road ride on Sunday morning w/ a 15+ mph tail wind on Sunday. It felt great!

Doc's visit this AM revealed that there is a possibility of things progressing here soon (although it could be weeks too- babies are notorious for remaining unpredictable), so I think that's my last commute-type ride for a while just to be on the safe side. I'll probably continue to do some laps around the neighborhood just to keep from twitching too much as well as lumbering around on foot.

FWIW I had NO anticipation of being able to continue riding this far along... however, a well-fitted FS mountain bike with a shortish cockpit has been very accomodating. Piglet will be born with plenty of miles already under his/her belt. :D

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
verslowrdr said:
Did my 10 mile flat road ride on Sunday morning w/ a 15+ mph tail wind on Sunday. It felt great!

Doc's visit this AM revealed that there is a possibility of things progressing here soon (although it could be weeks too- babies are notorious for remaining unpredictable), so I think that's my last commute-type ride for a while just to be on the safe side. I'll probably continue to do some laps around the neighborhood just to keep from twitching too much as well as lumbering around on foot.

FWIW I had NO anticipation of being able to continue riding this far along... however, a well-fitted FS mountain bike with a shortish cockpit has been very accomodating. Piglet will be born with plenty of miles already under his/her belt. :D
Keep us updated! This is very exciting and I'm sure exptremely inspirational for future moms out there.

Hey Pfunk how are you doing?

·
Registered
282 Posts
The wheel keeps turnin'

Impy said:
Keep us updated! This is very exciting and I'm sure exptremely inspirational for future moms out there.

Good for you (and baby!) I rode and walked through my 9th month, and I think it helped my mood a lot in addition to the physical affects. Of course the little porker was still 10 pounds, but that was the Ben and Jerry's talking.

On another note, riding with kids is SO FUN! My son and I started with a Burley bike trailer, then a trail-a-bike, and now (at age 10) I get to go on rides with him and the mountain biking team he is on. Growing up on the bike, what could be better?

Good luck and post up a pic of the little sproglet!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
verslowrdr said:

My wife's last ride was day before birth with child 1. Not quite the same with our twins.

Good luck!

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Funny, for some reason, during tonight's ride, I actually thought to myself, "I wonder how verslowrider's pregnancy is coming along?" So it's nice to come home and find this post :)

It's not like I was thinking about pregnancy; I think the train of thought went, "Wish I had a camera.....photo essay......like verslowrider's.......wonder if she's still able to ride?"

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Christine said:
Funny, for some reason, during tonight's ride, I actually thought to myself, "I wonder how verslowrider's pregnancy is coming along?" So it's nice to come home and find this post :)....
Aw, how sweet. :) We're doing super- although the crab-o-meter is definately running hot these days. I'm irritated when I lie down, irritated when I pace around the house, irritated at work, irritated driving in the car, irritated doing nothing, irritated doing anything... I'm ready to get on with labor NOW. FWIW it's all average for every other woman who's ever been pregnant that I talk to... the last few weeks are almost always some kind of torture test.

The bike is a welcome mental relief because it's one of the few things that remains amusing.

SIDE NOTE: don't EVER tell a woman this far along that she should "just enjoy these last few weeks". It's the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard, and probably explains a few cases of spontaneous combustion just from the hormonal psychokinetic energy that peaks when the statement is made.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
OH, quityer*****in and just enjoy these last few weeks, it's a cakewalk! ;) :p

Ha, I think it's the brain's way of mentally preparing a woman for labor.

How cute that biking is one of the few things that remain "amusing." A bike ride a day should do the trick. Just be sure to take pictures! A verypregnantrider must be a sight to behold.

·
the bomb
531 Posts
Impy said:
I'm good, thanks for asking Impy! Not riding as much as verslowrdr, but still doing a bit of pedaling around the ranch. Just when the weather will be perfect here, it will be hunting season and I won't be able to go out to enjoy it. :( My inlaws lease the hunting rights here which is kind of a bummer. When it's up to us some day, I don't think we will.

I'm almost 20 weeks now. Funny I've been complaining about getting a little bit uncomfortable the last few weeks. I have to keep reminding myself that I still have a long way to go! Better suck it up or it's going to be a long 4.5 months ;)

verslowrdr good luck and try not to go too insane! Do you know what your having? I'll find out next week :D

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Four wheeling with my husband induced labor for my last one, but I never went into labor naturally for the first, I hope all goes well with you.

Your pregnant riding tales should be compiled and saved, not just for you and your child, but for other women out there.

And I would like to see a picture, but fully understand if you can't even ponder that thought.

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pfunk said:
...verslowrdr good luck and try not to go too insane! Do you know what your having? I'll find out next week :D
I know I'm having a baby, as opposed to an octopus- which is reassuring given some of the activity, LOL! Husband wants to be suprised.

FWIW all of my riding I gauge off of time instead of mileage, and staying on fairly flat stuff is about par for the course in my experience. At some point I had to start thinking of exercise in general as "activity" as opposed to "fitness". I've just been toodling around for months, but I still believe there's benefits in it.

Bottom line: don't diss ANYTHING you're able to do there girl! :cool:

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
screampint said:
...And I would like to see a picture, but fully understand if you can't even ponder that thought.
OK. If I'm currently just experiencing the beginning of the flu or something else that goes away, I'll try to get husband to take a picture tomorrow.... if it's *something else* coming on, you'll just have to live with this one last (ugly) picture taken at 32 weeks. :)

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
That is awesome!

How inspiring. I know that everyone and every pregnancy is supposed to be different, but I am curious as to how the doctor is monitoring how the baby and biking are doing together. Is it based more on how you are feeling as long as the baby is healthy?

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
You are lucky. I was similar with my first pregnancy, I could do all sorts of activities, just at a lower level starting around the 6 or 7 month. I ran stairs the week my son was due (but he was 2 weeks late, the bugger!). With my second pregnancy my body decided that walking around the block was too much at 8 months (contractions galore).

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
brownieinSC said:
How inspiring. I know that everyone and every pregnancy is supposed to be different, but I am curious as to how the doctor is monitoring how the baby and biking are doing together. Is it based more on how you are feeling as long as the baby is healthy?
Pretty much. The doctor said that if it felt good, it was probably fine unless we discovered some other problem along the way. IMO the biggest thing is listening to my body... it's pretty good about whining when I'm pushing too hard. :)

Being pregnant there's only so much energy to go around during the day. I wanted to exercise to the point that I felt envigorated, but not so much that I was worn out. I've found that amount and intensity varies daily- although staying on top of hydration made a HUGE difference there too.

Thus far it's been a gigantic play-it-by-ear project. A frustrating answer to be sure, but given the infinate variables I don't know how else one would approach it. Also keep in mind that I'm NOT competative, NOT fast, and not even especially skilled... dorking along on the road or RR grade and stopping to look at a cow with a funny blotch on her head or a hawk in a tree has always been par for the course. It was probably easier for me to keep at it with expectations starting so horribly low. :)

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
brownieinSC said:
If you have a healtty pregnancy with no contra indications for exercise, yep, you go by how you feel with some guidance from your praticioner. I did know a gal who had a really old school doc who wouldn't let her swim in public pools and some other weird things. I would have fired that guy!

You get really good at listening to your body. "must sleep now" is the one I remember.

formica

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
That really is an inspirational photo! And you still manage to look cute! :cool:

Makes me wish I could be pregnant if for no other reason than to see how much biking I could do up until the baby arrives. Not that I want kids necessarily, I just think of pregnancy as an interesting exercise in endurance!

'pint, you were four-wheeling during your term?? Wow. No wonder labor was induced, the baby must've been like, "GET ME OFF THIS THING!!" :p

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Women can handle WAYmore pain than they think. I took my wife 6 months gone on a hike in the CA trinities that looked like a 3 hour hike on the topo map, well it was more like 7 and all fighting brush and over 3K elevation gain and bumblebees when we got to our private late and guess what. Our first born girl just rocks our world, as for our second born boy, OMG what a rude awakening on how bad things can get when ego/stubborness rules the gray matter. Be flexible and survive, best of luck!

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
Congrats from the Newbie

I'm new to posting on here, but not to riding. I saw this thread and it reminded me of how I felt with my pregnancies. I love hearing about other women who don't give up riding just because they're pregnant. I'm certain you'll look back at these last few weeks with pride for just making it through. I found myself literally telling each of my daughters "Please get out, I need a break already!" Then laughing at myself for being impatient. It really is the hardest part of the whole pregnancy, but oh so worth the wait and patience when you look at the little bundle of miracles.

After the baby is born I hope you and your husband get plenty of baby-filled bike rides in. I lost my middle daughter back in June while riding and now find myself grateful for all the time we rode and did stuff together. Sorry for a slight downnote but I'm just trying to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! to you and your husband. And BTW you look great.

Fiona

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.