Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that won't kill my suspension quality or geo right? ive got a 2005 switch sl and im looking

for a new shock and stumbled upon the ones of santa cruz's website, they have one listed

for a blur for $99 that has a 7.875" eye2eye and 2" stroke. just wondering if that would

or if i would be better off saving up and waiting to get something that fits perfectly.

any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

-redrider11-

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Save up....

So that shock is .375" shorter than what is supposed to be in there. Since there is a 2:1 ratio on the Switch, that means its going to pull your rear tire forward 3/4" of an inch. I suppose that doesn't sound like much, but I doubt highly you're going to get full travel, despite the fact that the shock travel is correct. I'd have to look at it carefully, but I suspect you'd run into problems at the end of the shock stroke (i.e. fully compressed) since I think the tire would end up being 3/4" forward from where the end of the travel is with the correct shock.

My vote would be to save up and buy the right shock (though that is a killer deal and I looked at that for my bike as well a few months ago).

John

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The stock shock is 7.5 x 2.0 so that shock mentioned will push the rear wheel back/down but the leverage ratio is 3:1, not 2:1, so you're looking at moving the rear wheel over an inch. I've played around with my 2005 Switch SL w/o a shock on and the suspension can freely move this far so you just need to be concerned about what it's going to do to your handling. I'd say it'll move the wheel back and down so you're looking at riding about 1/2 inch higher with a 1/2 inch longer wheelbase. That's not ideal but it's probably fine. One other thing to consider is the suspension rate. I believe the Switches suspension is slightly rising rate which means you'd be giving up the stiffest inch of your travel to gain a soft inch on the other end if that makes sense..as a result, you'd probably only get a 5.8" of travel instead of 6 and you'd need to run a slightly stiffer shock....other than that it should be fine. Why not just buy it and you can always sell it if it isn't jive-ing? What kind of shock is this? and are you sure that it's not $99 only if you buy a Santa Cruz? A link would be cool...

·
1946:2006:2066
1,458 Posts
don't bother with any of them

Santa Cruz bikes are either SP or VPP and any of their surplus shocks would
be custom valved for each of the two designs and incompatable with your Switch.

If you're looking for a lower cost solution consider the 2007 Vanilla R rear shock.
You should be able to find one for around $200.00 USD / $250.00 CAD and would
be a perfectly adequate shock for your bike. And PUSH Industries can customize it
for you, if you so desire at a later date.

michael

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Too bad all the coil shocks are too long...

Anyways, I don't really agree about the custom valved thing...yeah they might be but it's not like it would be that radical of a difference that it would be 'incompatable'. It might not work quite as well or it might work better than a stock Swinger. The Switch has a similar leverage ratio and a similar suspension design (faux 4-bar is very similar to a straight up single pivot) so it might work great...you don't know until you try and even if it sucks you can always sell it for near what you paid. The shock you're looking at is for a single pivot SC bike which is going to behave similar to the Switch. There are plenty of adjustments on those shocks that should work for dialing it in pretty close...too bad the 5th Element air shocks don't come in the right length.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, i was afraid that it would be that much of a difference (1/2" or so). i don't think im

gonna be the guennea pig here guys, im just gonna save up and buy a shock that works

good and something that i really want. i always tend to "settle" for something. but not on

my bikes. so why start now? haha. thanks anyways for the info guys.

-redrider11-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.