Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
WIGGLER
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a 8020 jig and I am going to try my hands at a 36er frame build here some
pics of the jig with a 29er frame hanging in it....:D :D

Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Rim

Bicycle frame Room Bicycle accessory Bicycle Camera accessory

Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Metal

·
Registered
323 Posts
Love it. I've been wanting to build a 36 for a long time now but haven't looked into it in over a year. Obviously coker tires. What rims? Do all the tires fit all the rims now or is there still an incompatibilty between some vendors?

·
WIGGLER
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Walt said:
It looks like you're welding right over the mill scale (I could be wrong). If you are, that's bad - make sure you've cleaned the last inch or so of the tube until it's bright/shiny.

-Walt
Thanx

·
WIGGLER
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
smdubovsky said:
Love it. I've been wanting to build a 36 for a long time now but haven't looked into it in over a year. Obviously coker tires. What rims? Do all the tires fit all the rims now or is there still an incompatibilty between some vendors?
Rims and spokes from unicycle.com!!! as far as what fits what I dont know.:D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I love how brutal and aggressive it looks! Can you get some more shots of little details such as the fork clearance? I like the way it looks, but it may rub like others speculate.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Flame = 0, Thumbs up = 1.
I was a little worried when I saw how close the DT was to the tire, but you fixed that up ASAP.
I will agree with Walt, cleaning the last inch (or more, depending on the joining method) will go a long ways in the durable weld/braze department. At a bare minimum go over it with some sand paper to get the bulk of the oils and contaminants off. They can cause porosity/voids in the weld as they try to boil/bubble to the surface of the puddle (amongst other things). Steel is pretty forgiving in that area, but the further you get from mild steel (not to say you don't need to prep mild steel), the more you should do to remove and prevent contamination (especially on stressed structural members).

Lecture over, from the looks of the ends of your DT, you "get it". Tell us how she wheelies.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.