Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
a.k.a Slacker
535 Posts
I've ridden my Heckler (5.5") with a 32 (130mm) for the past several years and have been quite happy with it. I have the 36 on my Nomad and I am happy with that too.

I think the Heckler is pretty nicely matched with either fork, but I would think that whether you choose the 32 or the 36 depends on your riding style. if you are doing more XC type trails, then probably the 32 is better suited for you. if you are doing a lot of free riding, then the 36 might be your choice.

·
Learning to Fly
156 Posts
Yep, I really think it comes down to your riding style. I have a Float 36 on mine and it really made me fall in love with the bike. It made it just slack enough and just burly enough (DHX Coil) to make it a truly tough AM bike that can take some abuse. I popped my North Shore cherry on it two weekends ago. I wasn't sending big or anything, but I think I was riding CBC at a decent level for a Shore Newb. Oh and I'm 230lbs :)

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
I used to have a Vanilla 32 (130mm) on and loved the plushness on trail. But I felt I was losing out on the gnarly and steep stuff. I now have a Van 36 (160mm) which is completely bombproof and confidence inspiring on the downhill, at speed and in rocky sections. Climbing on the 36 suffers though because of the taller front end, but I've learned to adjust. There were times I wished I had the 130 back on, but these are quickly erased by the next downward facing slope. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
I recently moved from a Float 32 to a Van 36 on my '06 Heckler. I was getting more into freeride type terrain and I am pretty heavy at 280. The 32 was feeling way to flexy for me. I am very happy with the decision. I have much more confidence in landing bigger jumps and plowing through uneven terrain. I am tall also and feel the 36 has made climbing techy stuff easier. It is more of a grind on long mellow grades though. In defense of the Float, I always felt like I needed to raise the front a little bit anyway. Also, it never failed or complained a bit about all I put it through. It was a very good fork on the Heckler, I just outgrew it. I haven't outgrown the frame yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.