Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you lucky enough to have demo'd the 36" MTB, please share your experiences? I'm seriously considering to have a frameset done, and get a project underway.
Your thoughts would help me decide in which directions to go with the design.

I'm 6'4" and have no doubt in my mind I can handle wheels lower than my inseam. Not even into it for the getting attention factor. Jsut seems cool to ride.

Any pics taken would of course be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Happy trials,

J

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I know the guy ya need to call!

Jan, you need to talk to Ben Witt at Milltown Cyclery. He's the only guy I know that has actually ridden the 36"er off road. His initial comment was something to the effect that it made log piles seem like nothing.

Anyway, here are two shots from the Big Wheeled Ballyhoo. One is of a kid about 5'6" riding the bike and the other is of Ben's shop mechanic showing that a wheelie on a large wheeled bike isn't that big a deal. (By the way, he rode it all the way out to the top of the hill and back down towards us as we took this shot.)

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have the links to other threads handy, but the tires are cut down grooved tires.

I am in contact with Ben. But he's a busy man, and more biased with 36" than I am with 29" :)

Just looking for people's experiences and thoughts.

The 5'6" kid seems a good fit.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Jan, you need to talk to Ben Witt at Milltown Cyclery. He's the only guy I know that has actually ridden the 36"er off road. His initial comment was something to the effect that it made log piles seem like nothing.

Anyway, here are two shots from the Big Wheeled Ballyhoo. One is of a kid about 5'6" riding the bike and the other is of Ben's shop mechanic showing that a wheelie on a large wheeled bike isn't that big a deal. (By the way, he rode it all the way out to the top of the hill and back down towards us as we took this shot.)
Great pics. Dare I ask, how much the wheels weigh?

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
Th tires are the original cut ones. The tread is a small block like tread, but only in appearance. Proto tires are coming, most likely Steel beaded Nanoraptors.

Brandon is great at riding wheelies. That was his response to someone saying that there should have been a prize for riding a wheelie 10ft on the beast, he made it a little farther than that!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I don't have the links to other threads handy, but the tires are cut down grooved tires.

I am in contact with Ben. But he's a busy man, and more biased with 36" than I am with 29" :)

Just looking for people's experiences and thoughts.

The 5'6" kid seems a good fit.
The "kid", is my son and is 5' 1":eek:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
JonathanGennick said:
I think that was custom made. But if not, I too would like to know where to get a frame and wheels. That bike just looks like so much fun to ride.
I think one of the longer suspension corrected 29er forks might work. Obviously the frame would have to be custom though.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.