Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been kicking around how to build my ML1 up.

I know this much:
King front hub
King rear hub with fun bolts.
King head set
Saint 800 cranks, stoppers
Saint 810 shifter and rear derail
Thompson post and stem
Terry Ti saddle
Maxxis Ignitor tires

Where I am at a loss is the fork. I am 230lbs, ride hard, jump bikes, launch drops, play pinball down rocky trials, the whole nine yards. I don't mind a little extra weight in exchange for a hell of a good descending bike for my way back down.

Any ideas for a fork? Fox 36 RLC Talas?

Thanks

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
Dude sounds like you should be a on a SuperMoto or El Guapo......that being said I love FR pimpin' a trail bike (I built my bros bike up that way, it's a 5.5'' travel Cove Hustler), go with the 36 float, a buddy of mine runs one on his Nomad, they're better for us big fellas when it comes to tuning and bottom out resistance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already got a Nomad, and an Intense SS, both running the 36.

I was half debating running the 32rlc with the 15mm TA. My only reasons for this are 1. the cost of a 36 and 2. I have had some trials getting the 36 right.

Mind you I have it set perfect now on my Nomad, but that took a couple years.

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
it sounds like you're getting close in your applications between your bikes SS and Nomad are very similar, if it were up to me build the motolite up as smokin' fast trailbike, which would point me to tell go with a 140mm fork, I'm a Marzocchi man, the AM is a great fork and would fit your needs.....although it's probably a tad heavier than a fox.a

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My only objection, as I too am a Zocchi guy, is the quality control I have seen out of them the last couple of years. I have the last year the 888 was good (2006) on my 303, but everything I have seen since then is sort of a POS. Switching from Italy to Taiwan was a bad move...

·
Registered
406 Posts
tattoooo said:
I've been kicking around how to build my ML1 up.

I know this much:
King front hub
King rear hub with fun bolts.
King head set
Saint 800 cranks, stoppers
Saint 810 shifter and rear derail
Thompson post and stem
Terry Ti saddle
Maxxis Ignitor tires

Where I am at a loss is the fork. I am 230lbs, ride hard, jump bikes, launch drops, play pinball down rocky trials, the whole nine yards. I don't mind a little extra weight in exchange for a hell of a good descending bike for my way back down.

Any ideas for a fork? Fox 36 RLC Talas?

Thanks
For a rider of your size, I wouldn't recommend pushing the ML with a Fox 36 and that kind of riding. Why?

Because I'm 150lbs and ran a TALAS 32 and the headtube and downtube cracked in a short time.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Aust95 said:
For a rider of your size, I wouldn't recommend pushing the ML with a Fox 36 and that kind of riding. Why?

Because I'm 150lbs and ran a TALAS 32 and the headtube and downtube cracked in a short time.
FWIW, you were on a small (if I remember) and the smalls use a lighter weight tubeset.

To the OP, I think you'd get away with it...as long as you weren't riding the ML like your bigger bikes. Just remember, the ML is a lightweight aggressive trailbike.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Medium not Small

geolover said:
FWIW, you were on a small (if I remember) and the smalls use a lighter weight tubeset.

To the OP, I think you'd get away with it...as long as you weren't riding the ML like your bigger bikes. Just remember, the ML is a lightweight aggressive trailbike.
My bike is a Medium.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This bike is intended to replace my Specialized Enduro (2003) for the same sort of riding. No huge hucks, under 4', no massive airs, under 5', and I am pretty damn smooth.

I never busted up my enduro, and this is the ML1, not the motolite with the carbon bits.

If I dialed the 36 down to 130, and used this as my XC bike, you think it'd work.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
tattoooo said:
Why would that void my warranty?

Someone explain to me if I dial it down to the 130 range why that would take me off of the running in that respect.
IIRC, Titus only clears the ML for a 145mm fork....the 36 at 130 is similar in height to other fork at 140, right, but still on a warranty claim, I think it would be hard to prove that you didn't use it beyond the frame's intended purpose....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Pike 454 Air

I ran the TALAS on my ML and found it too flexy for my taste. The PIKE 454 AIR would be a great choice for that build combined with your size. The U-Turn allows for some steep climbing and the 20mm through axle stiffens up the front end. I have been extremely happy with mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.