Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a new bike.

I don't race and don't care for a plow bike. I like to hit jumps and drops, I like a relatively nimble bike that corners well.

Our trails are rather rocky though, so leaning towards an 8 inch travel bike.

Just curious what others would do...

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I'd buy someone else's lightly used high end dream bike for about $2500 or so.
You can find lots of nice DH rigs that are just a few seasons old in that range-DHrs, Legends, Demos, 951s.
I'd then use the cash I "saved" on the used bike purchase to dial things in-suspension tune, favorite tires, bars + grips of choice etc.
Even if you went new and spent $3500, I'd doubt you'd start with the suspension, tires, cockpit that works best for you.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Giant Glory. Excellent bike, even compared to Demos/DHRs/Sessions/etc. And it's probably the best bang for the buck on a brand new bike. Feels very nimble, which I love.

Edit: This is assuming you want to buy a new bike. Used bikes do drop a lot in price, for what that's worth

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
OP, if you fit TheRage43's Jedi (and he really is willing to sell it), that's the bike you should buy. Canfield bikes are legendary. I took the plunge and bought one. Customer for life.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Buy used and take my 2012 DHR medium frame :) Seriously buy a used frame at least. I normally by new but it is really pointless because I get a hankerin' for something else and sell for a loss. It's a vicious circle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
$3500? I'd buy a lightly used 2012 v10 frame for $1500-$1700 and spec it out.

I'd also consider a Commencal Supreme FR or a Demo.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
wow, was that carbon Demo a complete build for 3500? I'm not much on Speshy, but that would be a steal. And since you said you mike nimble feeling bikes, might want to think about throwing an angleset on it to steepen the head angle a tad. It feels very long and might handle a bit sluggish with the stock settings. Just my opinion.

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow, was that carbon Demo a complete build for 3500? I'm not much on Speshy, but that would be a steal. And since you said you mike nimble feeling bikes, might want to think about throwing an angleset on it to steepen the head angle a tad. It feels very long and might handle a bit sluggish with the stock settings. Just my opinion.
yup.. complete build. found a great deal that I couldn't pass up..stretched the budget a touch, but not much..

Will see how it feels and see if it needs the angle set..

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
If you want a nimble 8" bike, check out the Norco Aurum. One of best jumping and flickable DH bikes I'm rode. The Aurum 3 is well under your budget too, so you got room to upgrade anything you dont like.

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you want a nimble 8" bike, check out the Norco Aurum. One of best jumping and flickable DH bikes I'm rode. The Aurum 3 is well under your budget too, so you got room to upgrade anything you dont like.
too late... purchase made..

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no, I got a new one..

one a side note.. heading to Maui Thursday! damn excited..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts