Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Always Learning
9,593 Posts
The MaxxLites are not bad at all. I've raced them 3 times this season and been testing them tubeless on my Crest rims. Of course, the course has got to be right, but very similar performance to the NoTubes Crow - or actually, the 2.0 Raven. Super fast on buff Midwest singletrack. The acceleration is amazing and my pair has seen plenty of trail time since March of this year. Probably best on the rear with a bit more bite up front, but I've had no problem racing them front and rear.

JET is ready to roll...

WW Race Tires

·
Registered
20 Posts
"The MaxxLites are not bad at all. I've raced them 3 times this season and been testing them tubeless on my Crest rims. Of course, the course has got to be right, but very similar performance to the NoTubes Crow - or actually, the 2.0 Raven. Super fast on buff Midwest singletrack. The acceleration is amazing and my pair has seen plenty of trail time since March of this year. Probably best on the rear with a bit more bite up front, but I've had no problem racing them front and rear."

Which midwest races have you found these to work well with? I do most of the WORS races. How is the volume on the tires?

·
Always Learning
9,593 Posts
"The MaxxLites are not bad at all. I've raced them 3 times this season and been testing them tubeless on my Crest rims. Of course, the course has got to be right, but very similar performance to the NoTubes Crow - or actually, the 2.0 Raven. Super fast on buff Midwest singletrack. The acceleration is amazing and my pair has seen plenty of trail time since March of this year. Probably best on the rear with a bit more bite up front, but I've had no problem racing them front and rear."

Which midwest races have you found these to work well with? I do most of the WORS races. How is the volume on the tires?
I only did one WORS race this year - the Border Battle - and was running Racing Ralphs at that race. I would have run them at the Firecracker had I gone as that course would be great for them with all of those fire road connector sections - except the Firecracker was a week after the 4th and I was on a planned vacation. Ran the MaxxLites in Nebraska, Minnesota and a race in Iowa. All pretty buff singletrack except for the roots. Volume is a smidge under 2.0 (casing measures 50mm on my Crests), but even on the JET 9 my personal preference is for a tire with more volume (Ikon 2.2, Raven 2.2, Ralph 2.25, Race King 2,2. etc...). These are true weight weenie XC race wheels like the Furious Freds.

First race on the MaxxLites was in early April in Bellevue, Nebraska at Swanson Park. The leaves were not on the trees yet, it was 87 degrees, the trail was so hard from the winter it was like cement, and I had about 10 winter hibernation pounds to shed - but the tires were a nice surprise on a fast and rather bumpy race course.

Lap 1

I've swapped back and forth between the MaxxLites and the Beavers (similar volume tire) quite a bit for a total of 6 races on those tires alone this season depending on how wet or dry it was. I have used higher volume with more tread tires (Ikons, Ardents, Ralphs) in my other 7 races this year.

BB

·
Registered
518 Posts
i ran maxxix maxlite 26" tires that weighed 310 grams on my 26" race bike last season.

i just ran them on the rear. can you say roll fast!!!??? and you could really feel how light the wheels were with them mounted.

but can you say, no traction! lol. it felt like a road tire on the rear. it would lock up and skid in a second and i had no breaking traction at all. it was a great time! :)

that said, i rode that tire in some 100 mi rides and xc races over rock gardens and pretty techincal stuff.

i bet the 29er version will have better traction considering the bigger foot print.

i would love to put one of these on my rear of my race bike.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've raced them 3 times this season and been testing them tubeless on my Crest rims.
Did you have any problems setting them up tubeless?

Sounds like they could find good use on my upcoming monstercross build (Stans 355 rims). I have some Crossmarks and a Raven 2.2 in the parts bin but if these new Maxxis tires set up tubeless without issues they might be perfect for a mix of gravel grinding, fireroads and some paved roads...?

·
Always Learning
9,593 Posts
Did you have any problems setting them up tubeless?

Sounds like they could find good use on my upcoming monstercross build (Stans 355 rims). I have some Crossmarks and a Raven 2.2 in the parts bin but if these new Maxxis tires set up tubeless without issues they might be perfect for a mix of gravel grinding, fireroads and some paved roads...?
No problems at all setting them up tubeless. Squirted in 2 ounces of Stan's sealant in each tire, and I even skipped the soap and water to mount. I just aired them right up, shook the sealant around, laid them flat on a bucket a la NoTubes instructions and was good to go. No seepage/weepage of sealant out of the sidewalls at all. They never have burped or complained on my Crests.

BB

·
ballbuster
12,709 Posts
Ramped knobs roll super fast, but don't stick to much of anything. Heck, I'd try them if I really cared about the outcome of my races (like, if I actually had a chance to get anywhere near the podium) and had the dough to blow.

I love the feel of light tires. Snappy response, and the fast roll. I think light carcasses lend to fast roll too, because there is less rubber flexing to absorb the energy.... kinda like what tubeless does.

Heh... I remember back in the day I used to run Hutchinson Python Airlites on my 26er race bike. Man, those things rolled stupid fast, but were downright scary as soon as the trail had anything remotely loose on it. They also wore out in like 100 miles.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
meltingfeather: Why ask for knobbier tires that weigh more? They already make those. Get yourself an Ikon or an Ignitor

Because going from an average of 600-700g to 350g leaves a huge gap. At 350g per tire (and this is a 29er, so you can only imagine how thin that tire is) flats and no traction are a concern.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.