·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I'm looking for a good lighter, fast rolling, g
ood cornering
tubeless
tire 35-38mm on 23I rims to be used mostly for fast neighborhood bombing, some back roads and maybe even a commute now and then. I'm not much interested in actual cyclocross riding but like the cross geo for fast riding on tight loop courses on low traffic neighborhood streets. I see 5-10 cars an hour. The loops I have mapped out are 2-8 miles with enough hills to easily top 40 mph and cruise 18-20 mph on rolling streets.

I also have ideas about exploring different cities by bike, NY, Boston, DC etc.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I ride Gravel King 40c tires on my gravel/road bike and love them. I had 35c tires previous to those and I don't think I'd ever go back to a tire that small. But I do ride a lot of gravel so the extra cush of the 40c is nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vittoria Terreno Zero is worth a look if a decent chunk of the riding is on pavement and hard pack gravel. If there is a bit more dirt the Terreno Dry still rolls pretty well on pavement.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have Terreno Dry on one set of wheels (Novatec) they were a tight fit to get them on, but they sealed up easily and have had no issues with them.

Was between Terreno Zero and Gravel King SK for a new set of "gravel" wheels, ended up with the SK cause this set of wheels will be used more on dirt than pavement.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
I haven;t ridden them but almost bought a set of Teravail Ramparts. Went with the 700x35 Cannonballs instead since I do ride a mixture of road and off road. The Cannonballs are awesome and I expect the Ramparts would be more impressive on road.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
3mm difference between 35 and 38... they're the same size? Tire casing and tread/no tread is going to be much more influential.

Not too fond of SB8s; the center knobs wear quickly and then there's not much carcass to wear through. They score poorly on rolling resistance tests, too.

I'm using spec roubaix 32s for a similar application, set up tubeless. They're unremarkable, but they hit a good balance of durability, volume, cost, and casing stiffness. They measure 35c on my 25mm IW rims. They're more supple than gravel kings, but not flimsy as compass.

I don't see much benefit in having a tread until you're looking at like ~50mm etrto.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm giving the gravel kings a shot. They look good to me and I don't want to get caught up in analysis paralysis. I'll run them with tubes until I need a few more things then order the valve stems to go tubeless.

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
The difference between 3mm is almost negligible, but I always opt for larger tires i.e. comfort. I just did a gravel bike century 100mi ride mostly pavement on Pari Moto 48mm's :) haha Balloons baby.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
The difference between 3mm is almost negligible, but I always opt for larger tires i.e. comfort. I just did a gravel bike century 100mi ride mostly pavement on Pari Moto 48mm's :) haha Balloons baby.
When I was on a pure road bike...the difference going from a 23c tire to a 25c was big and again from 25c to 28c was like day and night. 28c to 35c was quite noticeable and 35c to 40c was enough that I know I'll never go back to anything smaller than 40c on the road. Paved or gravel.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.