Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: I just weighed my 06 hardrock pro disc, and it weighs 34 pounds. I really want a sub-25 lb. bike, how much would it cost to shave 10 pounds off of the bike?

It's probably just worth it to buy a lighter bike around 27 lbs. and shave the weight off?!

·
Registered
696 Posts
You have pretty unrealistic expections. I say invest in a lighter set of tires immediately. You could probably shave close to 2 lbs right there if you shop wisely. Specialized puts on TANKS at the factory. After that, see if you notice a difference while riding. You will. Ignore the scale. Next up would be wheels and a fork.

If you can' t ignore the scale and insist on having a light bike for whatever reason, sell it and pay the $$$$ for a new bike. It'll be WAY cheaper in the long run.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no clue about shopping for what tires, I ride xc singletrack. I would like the lightest tires/tubes.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Bombproofing...

I'm looking at getting a set of Rhinolites for my 29 pound Trek (I too have some heavy wheels) but haven't decided on the tires I am going to run.

The Rhinolites are more wheel than what I need for XC and singletrack (I know folks who use these on DH runs and drops) but I continue to ride more and more aggressively and find myself craving more airtime. Our resident buke guru has told me that the Rhino's he runs on his machine have taken excessive punishment (10 foot plus drops) and have never failed him. I figure he also outweighs me by at least 100 pounds and is certifiably hardcore in his riding.

This should bring the Trek down to 27 pounds (or thereabouts) which is more than light enough for me and my skinny butt and will give me peace of mind when I take those monster hits at high speed.

For me, shaving weight is a good thing as long as it doesn't compromise performance and the longevity of the components.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
DO NOT BUY NEW COMPONENTS!!!!

New tires are ok, but you will end up spending more than the original cost of the bike if you switch out all the components. Trust me, I've done it before.

Check out the "Wheels and Tires" forum for some suggestions on lighter weight tires. You should be able to find some that weigh in around the 500 gram mark for the type of riding you do.

Oh, and my GF rides a Hardrock and complains about the weight all the time. I totally agree that the thing is a beast, and that detracts from the experience, especially for a newer rider. Just try to deal as best you can until you can save enough to buy the more expensive, lighter bike.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
exactly

Guyechka said:
DO NOT BUY NEW COMPONENTS!!!!

New tires are ok, but you will end up spending more than the original cost of the bike if you switch out all the components. Trust me, I've done it before.

Check out the "Wheels and Tires" forum for some suggestions on lighter weight tires. You should be able to find some that weigh in around the 500 gram mark for the type of riding you do.
Just start with a 25 lb bike. I thin I reacll that a basic giant XTC comes in below the 25 lbs. You could easily shave a # off that bike as well, tires, tubes, grips...

As said so clearly earlier, if you are 9 lbs away from your target, buy a bike in that range, don't even bother with any component changes.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
It may not even be feasible.
Hardrock Pro Disc $710msrp. At that price, the frame is probably pretty heavy. If you're "really" serious, first thing strip the bike down to the frame and weigh the frame. If it's over 5lbs you don't have a realistic chance.

For reference: http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bike_intros/06_ht_intro.html
Dragon Team $3,575.00msrp (24lbs)
Dragon Pro $2,100.00msrp (25lbs)
Dakota Elite $1,575.00msrp (25.75 lbs)
Exile XC $1,100.00msrp (28.75)
Dakota Comp $1,075.00 (28.25)
Durango 3.0 $825.00msrp (30.25)

I have no preference towards Jamis. Their site was convenient to include weights.

As you can see, to get sub 25lbs is not cheap. If you frame is not too heavy, next you gotta ask yourself, can I swap out (mostly everything) for $1000. Assuming your bike is worth $500. If it's going to cost you $1000, sell your bike and take the $1500 and buy a new bike.

It could be done for under $1000. But you'd have to be real frugal with your shopping. (Closeouts, clearances, etc.) And be willing to make sacrifices like no disk brakes.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
cmktech said:
:mad: I just weighed my 06 hardrock pro disc, and it weighs 34 pounds. I really want a sub-25 lb. bike, how much would it cost to shave 10 pounds off of the bike?

It's probably just worth it to buy a lighter bike around 27 lbs. and shave the weight off?!
Don't waste your money on a lot of weight saving stuff for that bike. It wasn't meant to be a 25# bike. If you want to get it under 30# replace the wheelset and get some lighter tires and thinwall tubes or just go tubeless with stans. If you are spending more than 1/3 what you spent for the bike new, it's not worth it. IMHO. You will notice the biggest difference with the tires and wheels. Keep the bike and the wife away from the scales and you will be a happier man.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
iviguy said:
Don't waste your money on a lot of weight saving stuff for that bike. It wasn't meant to be a 25# bike. If you want to get it under 30# replace the wheelset and get some lighter tires and thinwall tubes or just go tubeless with stans. If you are spending more than 1/3 what you spent for the bike new, it's not worth it. IMHO. You will notice the biggest difference with the tires and wheels. Keep the bike and the wife away from the scales and you will be a happier man.
Or...you could upgrade everything that you can, build it with parts that are lighter and stronger than stock. Once you have a build that you like, save some cash and buy a nice frame. You can use most of your parts on any frame.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
BShow said:
Or...you could upgrade everything that you can, build it with parts that are lighter and stronger than stock. Once you have a build that you like, save some cash and buy a nice frame. You can use most of your parts on any frame.
Sure, you could, but buying a new bike piece by piece is not going to be your best value. Nothing will beat a good deal on a previous year's model (new or used are both good options)

The hardrock is built to take some abuse, not be a lighweight.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just bought a 06 Klein $1525.00 wieghed in at 25.7lbs after stripping it down to the frame and a $2000.00 rebuild (headset, handlebars,stem, seat, seatpost, 2 wheelsets,drivetrain) bike weighs in at 22.3lbs. I made some of the money back ($1000.00) off the stuff I pulled off the bike. But to be honest to shave weight you have to spend money, alot of it. The bike you have, to be honest, is not worht investing the time to save the weight. I did the same thing you did a few months ago with a Trek SU200 ($489.99) after ugrades I put twice as much money in to the bike to shave 2lbs and decided I didn't want after it was completed, granted it looked nice it rode nice but it did not meet the applications I wanted to use it for. If you want to shave weight, try and sell the bike and start anew.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I have a hard time believing that.

Cheers! said:
My 05 stumpjumper disc is 25 lbs. Stock.
I paid 1200 USD for it.
Have you actually weighed that thing on a reliable scale?

I have a fairly lightly built '03 Stumpjumper FSR-XC with Hope Mono MIni discs, and I'm in at 26.5 on a good day. IIRC, the '05 frames are about the same weight, if not a tad heavier.

That is, I got:

Bontrager Mustang rims
Hope XC hubs
XT drivetrain
carbon bars
Hope Mono Mini brakes
Ti pedals
Newer LX cranks (only 30g off of XTs with lighter rings)
Kenda Karma tires and lunar lite tubes
RS Reba Race fork
Fox Float RL rear shock
light saddle
light stem
lots of alu bolts and all the weight weenie free weight shaving trick I could think of

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
cmktech said:
I have no clue about shopping for what tires, I ride xc singletrack. I would like the lightest tires/tubes.
What do you mean you have no clue? You can't shop? You can't do your own research? That is what it takes to find what you want in this crazy world of options.

You need a tire that works for your riding style, and is as light as it can be taking in that consideration. You need a tire that works well for your terrain as well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
good luck getting 9 pounds off of it. Just live with it. It's not that bad. Instead of pouring money into it, save up and buy a better bike.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Tag1 said:
+1 on seriously doubting that. Are you sure it wasn't 25kg? :skep: :D
Remember that stumpjumper hardtail frames are pretty light. I don't think the 25lb stupjumper is not the FSR model.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts