Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I just purchased my first Scott MTB...a 2009 Spark 35. So far the bike has been awesome on the two rides I've taken it on. The one thing I"m looking to change on the bike from the stock parts mix is the seatpost. I am trying to find a 34.9 post that has no setback to it. I contacted thomson to see if they make the 34.9 size, but they do not. Does anyone know if there are any companies making a non - setback post in size 34.9?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Syntace P6 34.9X480 heavy with an alloy insert
New Ultimate 34.9X410 in straight and laid back now
Cycle King Racing think they are doing 350 and 400 mm's at this point.
U.S.E and Extralite make shims, extralites is a lot lighter though

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ozhoo said:
I wanted a zero offset post as well when I put my Scale together. In the end I decided on a U.S.E. shim and a Thomson 31.6 post.

O
Have you had any trouble with the seatpost slipping back into the frame with the USE shim? This may be the route I'll take since the only zero offset post is the King Cycle Ultimate Carbon which I am a little skeptical about.

Thanks!

·
Registered
375 Posts
One of the forum members here Bata's runs the Cycle King Racing post on his Scale and seems pretty happy with it. For the money its hard to beat. Remember that the shim voids your warrenty according to Scott. Do a search an you can probably find the thread Batas started about this seat post from CKR.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire Wheel

Heres a quick picture of the New Ultimate 34.9X410 on my Spark...I like this one because it can be run like a straight post or with some set back too. Weight was 180 grams, about 50 grams less than my Ritchey WSC at 400mm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
starSIXEDit said:
Have you had any trouble with the seatpost slipping back into the frame with the USE shim? This may be the route I'll take since the only zero offset post is the King Cycle Ultimate Carbon which I am a little skeptical about.

Thanks!
For the New Ultimate, give the folks at FairWheelBikes a call. As for the shim, I've been running the combo for over 6 months, w/ thousands of miles on it and it hasn't bugged. The U.S.E. shims are a high-quality grooved cnc shim.

Call me crazy but my days of spending 300 bones on a post are over.
O

·
Registered
375 Posts
New Ultimate is a small Danish company that does a number of different bike parts. They have a crappy website at www.jtimport.dk/kontakt.html, and the owners email address is [email protected]. His name is Jesper and apparently you can order direct from him. I got mine via a forum member at Star Bikes Weight Weenies site. Fairwheel bikes in the states is about the only company in the US that distributes them. On the pricey side, mine was 250 to the door. Better than AX or Scmolke though.

·
Weight Weenie Addict!
255 Posts
As many have mentioned New Ultimate is probably the lightest option before jumping to AX Lightness or Schmolke. I do have a NU on my Spark but it's a 31.6 mm with a Extralite shim, no issues so far. I had to go this way as the 34.9 mm wasn't available until recently but will probably change to a new 34.9 NU once we get a pending order from them. Of course, the weight weenie option would be the Schmolke TLO but even at dealer pricing I can't get myself to drop the $$$$ for one....maybe a birthday present in 2009?

·
Registered
69 Posts
jmartpr said:
As many have mentioned New Ultimate is probably the lightest option before jumping to AX Lightness or Schmolke. I do have a NU on my Spark but it's a 31.6 mm with a Extralite shim, no issues so far. I had to go this way as the 34.9 mm wasn't available until recently but will probably change to a new 34.9 NU once we get a pending order from them. Of course, the weight weenie option would be the Schmolke TLO but even at dealer pricing I can't get myself to drop the $$$$ for one....maybe a birthday present in 2009?
Not too easy to get the illusive 34.9mm seat post for sure. Ritchey has been super slow with production, but should have some soon. Also new to the 34.9 scene is Edge Composites, they'll have one out soon. www.edgecomposites.com Bug them, and they'll release sooner than later. Should be a really cool looking light post.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.