Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a new seat post for a carbon Scott Scale, but am having trouble finding one in the correct diameter (34.9). Main issue is I need a post that is mico adjust to get the seat angle right, but also want to save a few grams.

Two options I am considering are:
Thompson elite with USE shim to 31.6, or
USE Sumo carbon 400

I have read mixed reports on using seat post shims. I am a bit worried about using a shim to reduce the diameter down by over 3mm. Do they work ok, or should they be avoided at all cost?

Is the USE Sumo a good one? Anyone have experience with this model?
(they are quite expensive, and I can't find the weight)

Any other recomendations?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
get a shim!

socialrider said:
I want to get a new seat post for a carbon Scott Scale, but am having trouble finding one in the correct diameter (34.9). Main issue is I need a post that is mico adjust to get the seat angle right, but also want to save a few grams.

Two options I am considering are:
Thompson elite with USE shim to 31.6, or
USE Sumo carbon 400

I have read mixed reports on using seat post shims. I am a bit worried about using a shim to reduce the diameter down by over 3mm. Do they work ok, or should they be avoided at all cost?

Is the USE Sumo a good one? Anyone have experience with this model?
(they are quite expensive, and I can't find the weight)

Any other recomendations?
get an Extralite shim and a decent 31,6mm seatpost. there's no problem with using shims at all! i use one in my Scale for the 3rd year now...

Extralite Shim 34,9-31,6 = 21g

New Ultimate 31,6/350 = 137g
KCNC Ti-Pro: 31,6/350 = 152g
KCNC 31,6/400 = 172g

or get a Ritchey WCS Carbon 34,9/350 = 236g

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Only cause for avoiding the shim is the warranty. Scott's warranty says they will void the warranty in case of a shim. I would just keep a 34.9 post around in case you crack it and need to try to warranty. I'm too cautious to try a shim and I haven't weighed my Ritchey Pro Carbon for fear of a sudden desire to upgrade it. I figure there's plenty of fat to shave off my wheels and other components to worry about an extra 60-80g on my post.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
warranty...

mishap said:
Only cause for avoiding the shim is the warranty. Scott's warranty says they will void the warranty in case of a shim. I would just keep a 34.9 post around in case you crack it and need to try to warranty. I'm too cautious to try a shim and I haven't weighed my Ritchey Pro Carbon for fear of a sudden desire to upgrade it. I figure there's plenty of fat to shave off my wheels and other components to worry about an extra 60-80g on my post.
there is no risk!
what is different in a shim compared to a seatpost of correct size?? both the same lenght, both the same diameter...? there's just this minimal opening of the shim. by using plastic shims there is no risk of damage at all! i could understand their reasoning if you would use a sharp edged alloy shim which could cut into the seattube but by using plastic there is absolutely NO risk.

and if ever something fails how in hell would they be able to tell you you had a shim?

forget your concerns!

by the way - Scott themselves sell such shims to be used on Ransom Carbon frames to accomodate Maverick [email protected]µishap:
no - i would'n weigh that Ritchey Pro seatpost as well;) it will be around 300g+ for sure!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
the Syntace is a Tank !!

DirtDad said:
The P6 is a carbon post available in a native 34.9 size
sorry - the P6 weighs almost 300g at 34,9/400....that's a looooong way from beeing light:nono:

may i once more remember that a Extralite shim (21g) + KCNC 31,6/400 (172g) weigh only 193g. that's over 100g lighter at maybe half the cost as well;)

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
socialrider said:
Thanks for the replies

Does anyone know why Scott use such a large seat post diameter?

Seems strange since large posts are generally heavy, and Scott market their bikes as light?
I think they do it so they can produce frame stiffness goals. Also why they use a ridiculous BB width 73mm+e.

Really, Scotts claims for being so light weight are a bit mute because you end up having to get a heavy seat post, heavy front der, bad chain line, heavy continuous housing and the shim simply adds weight and draws the warranty into question. Furthermore the Scale has otherwise good geometry except the BB is really low - not good for technical stuff. You have to concentrate hard not to bottom out your crank arms on technical courses. My old scale started to de-laminate around the seat clamp and I was using a shim.

You could be lighter with what might appear to initially be a heavier frame such as an Orbea Alma, the top spec Giant or really I think the frame of choice is the top spec carbon Cannodales with their top spec lefty.

I guess I'm a slow learner myself. The 2008 limited Scotts do look awesome. Good luck and watch out for the rocks and logs.:cool:

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
no delamination...

Slobberdoggy said:
I think they do it so they can produce frame stiffness goals. Also why they use a ridiculous BB width 73mm+e.

Really, Scotts claims for being so light weight are a bit mute because you end up having to get a heavy seat post, heavy front der, bad chain line, heavy continuous housing and the shim simply adds weight and draws the warranty into question. Furthermore the Scale has otherwise good geometry except the BB is really low - not good for technical stuff. You have to concentrate hard not to bottom out your crank arms on technical courses. My old scale started to de-laminate around the seat clamp and I was using a shim.

You could be lighter with what might appear to initially be a heavier frame such as an Orbea Alma, the top spec Giant or really I think the frame of choice is the top spec carbon Cannodales with their top spec lefty.

I guess I'm a slow learner myself. The 2008 limited Scotts do look awesome. Good luck and watch out for the rocks and logs.:cool:
around the globe the Scale is rated THE best and fastest hardtail for racing. there is no doubt about that.

what you show us here is no delamination. just some clear coat coming off.

please explain me then why we see all Scales at the front of light-bikes.com? the Scale is still the lightest frameset - period. and that's since 3 years counting with basically still the same unchanged design. this is the frame EVERYONE else is taking as a reference. it combines light weight with great stiffness and a superb ride. no wonder several Pros use a re-painted Scale frame with decals from their sponsors:thumbsup:

·
Registered
934 Posts
nino said:
around the globe the Scale is rated THE best and fastest hardtail for racing. there is no doubt about that.

please explain me then why we see all Scales at the front of light-bikes.com? the Scale is still the lightest frameset - period. no wonder several Pros use a re-painted Scale frame with decals from their sponsors:thumbsup:
There is a great deal of doubt over the Scale as a racing frame. I'd cherish seeing some photos of pros with rebadged Scales. I think the ride quality of the scale might be one of the best, the carbon fiber quality and details is top notch but it's not a great light weight platform.

I've already mentioned a number of issues it has. The top Scales on light-bikes are all unrideable and have voided warranties for changing the cable routing. Reality starts on that list at around 15lbs and there are only few scales after that - so many other frames can compete with the Scale weight wise. You have to factor in the cable routing, front der and seat post, it's as simple as that.

Your bike on light-bikes is under 15lbs and has: rerouted cables where you drill into your downtube and super glued in cable stops. Like you said before, the 2005's are quite a bit lighter than current scales due to paint and water bottle reinforcements. You mounted a dura ace bottom pull der not a standard spec 'e-type'. You use a shim on the your seat post. You also are using a sid with altered internals. It looks to me like you went to *extremes* in order to just get on the light-bikes top 10.

The frame is only light if you do all the 'tricks' to make it light. Scotts old scandium frame is nice. Back then you had built an even lighter bike iirc! There are other quality bikes on the list like the Xclusive, Spin Epo, Giant, Salsa and even Schmolke (not mentioned the numerous Scandium Scotts).

Look, I've owned two carbon limited scales. They are nice but I'm not going to get my ego tied into a rapidly becoming inferior frameset.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Slobberdoggy said:
There is a great deal of doubt over the Scale as a racing frame. I'd cherish seeing some photos of pros with rebadged Scales. I think the ride quality of the scale might be one of the best, the carbon fiber quality and details is top notch but it's not a great light weight platform.

I've already mentioned a number of issues it has. The top Scales on light-bikes are all unrideable and have voided warranties for changing the cable routing. Reality starts on that list at around 15lbs and there are only few scales after that - so many other frames can compete with the Scale weight wise. You have to factor in the cable routing, front der and seat post, it's as simple as that.

Your bike on light-bikes is under 15lbs and has: rerouted cables where you drill into your downtube and super glued in cable stops. Like you said before, the 2005's are quite a bit lighter than current scales due to paint and water bottle reinforcements. You mounted a dura ace bottom pull der not a standard spec 'e-type'. You use a shim on the your seat post. You also are using a sid with altered internals. It looks to me like you went to *extremes* in order to just get on the light-bikes top 10.

The frame is only light if you do all the 'tricks' to make it light. Scotts old scandium frame is nice. Back then you had built an even lighter bike iirc! There are other quality bikes on the list like the Xclusive, Spin Epo, Giant, Salsa and even Schmolke (not mentioned the numerous Scandium Scotts).

Look, I've owned two carbon limited scales. They are nice but I'm not going to get my ego tied into a rapidly becoming inferior frameset.
uuuugh - big mistake there!

i am by no means looking to be on the top of that list! i don't mount 290g maxxlite tires which would make me jump to the front page...i don't care at all what those guys in front of me do. i know that the bike i listed works fine for real riding.

sure i went to the limits. that's me. that's part of my passion. but no other frame is this light nor offers it the ride of the Scale. it's as simple as that. you are right that the old scandium scott was pretty close weight wise but i had it and can tell you the Scale is better.

as you mentioned i once built my scandium Scott to just 6,4 kilos and i could have gone much lighter still with parts i had laying around but to me this is not a contest. i want a light bike that suits my riding. not a gimmick. that's why that "project" build of back then lasted only a couple of days as it wasn't doing any good for my needs. i still have those Maxxlite tires aroound...but they just collect dust somewhere in my basement. for me these tires are unrideable and don't belong on a real MTB.

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
So one of my points is that the only reason those Scales are up there are because they are doing the silly maxlite 310's and even flimsier forks and wheels. The other guys not on Scale using more ridable parts. It's an anomaly that the Scale is in some of the top positions. Additionally, Light-Bikes.com does not represent every single combination available. Storck, Orbea, Kona and others all offer weight winning frames if you put on crazy wheels and forks.

If there is anything that is starting to appear as a gimmick, it's the belief that the Scale is the best lightweight frameset. It's one of the lightest framesets on it's own but requires "special needs" inorder for it to be competitive. Other framesets don't need a shim, don't need the cable routing changed don't require a heavy 73+e bb and front der.

I don't want to see more people being misled by the idea of the Scale as the lightest frameset - that is sort of a gimmick based upon the issues I have raised here :nono: It's time to move on and show/describe/point out other perfectly light weight solutions instead of the Scale with it's inherent special needs handicaps :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scott scale is still a great ride

Thanks for the replies - certainly made me rethink my view that the Scott's are the lightest bikes around.

For my own part, the Scale is still the best bike I have ever owned, and my my first higher end ride. Fortunately I chose the Scale not just for its low weight but also its ride quality - stiff frame but still very comfortable. Definitly much better than any other bike I have ridden, and despite issues raised above, pleanty of potential for practical weight reduction from stock.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Scott Shim !!

i finally got hold of a proprietary Scott shim: 56g

it is designed for use with Maverick Seatpostst for Ransom bikes. please anybody tell me the difference from using it with any other seatpost??? there is none.

as i already mentioned several times:
using a shim is safe. all you have to do is not to use a too short one in order not to hurt your frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
nino said:

it is designed for use with Maverick Seatpostst for Ransom bikes. please anybody tell me the difference from using it with any other seatpost??? there is none.

using a shim is safe. all you have to do is not to use a too short one in order not to hurt your frame.
Okay okay, but don't you think it could be designed differently than other shims?

While it may be that this suggests using shims is safe shims still add weight and this is a heavy one LOL!!!! Maybe that is why it is okay!

Nino, you didn't go to euro bike this year?

·
Registered
934 Posts
nino said:

BTW post a picture of the "speed ball" seat post.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.